Are you a self-motivated individual with experience in administering the legislative and administrative requirements of the Freedom of Information and the Protection of Privacy Act? If so, do not miss this great opportunity to join a small team of professionals with corporate responsibility to implement FIPPA for the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Provide advice, direction, guidance and recommendations regarding interpretation and application of FIPPA, privacy principles, Orders of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC) to clients
• Assist in the implementation of policies and procedures related to access-to-information and privacy across the ministry and its agencies, boards and commissions
• Provide a broad range of analytical services
• Process complex and/or sensitive requests made under FIPPA
• Develop briefing materials for senior management
• Develop, implement and deliver training programs on FOI policies and procedures
How do I qualify?
• You have knowledge of and experience interpreting the FIPPA, associated case law and precedents, other access and privacy-related legislation and policies, in order to analyze / process requests and provide advice and guidance to all program areas in the development of access and privacy initiatives.
• You have knowledge of privacy risks and mitigation strategies to identify contentious privacy issues, and make recommendations to management.
• You are familiar with current and emerging access and privacy theories, principles, practices, trends, issues and solutions to provide advice to resolve contentious and sensitive issues.
Advisory, Conflict Resolution, and Analytical Skills
• You have experience working with contentious and sensitive issues related to information access and developing appropriate solutions
• You have experience providing advice to staff, clients and senior management related to FIPPA requests
• You know how to engage in consultations with various stakeholders and negotiate time lines for compliance
Communication and Relationship Management Skills
• You have demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills to discuss and provide policy and procedure information and advice to all levels of staff.
• You have well developed written communications skills to exchange information, prepare briefing and training materials.
• You have proven presentation and negotiation skills to influence and promote adherence throughout the ministry to ensure consistency in communication of Freedom of Information (FOI) policies and procedures,negotiate solutions, fee structures and mediate issues related to access appeals
• You have a strong customer service focus and can develop and maintain effective working relationships
• You demonstrate tact and discretion when dealing with sensitive issues
Coordination and Organizational Skills
• You have coordination and organizational skills to plan and manage a large caseload with proven ability to prioritize work on a number of projects simultaneously and maintain compliance within legislated time lines.
• You have proven ability to manage your own priorities and workload to meet compliance with legislated requirements and deadlines.
• You have the ability to work independently and as part of a team in a confidential work setting.
• You have demonstrated ability to maintain detailed records which are necessary to support ministry position.
Training, Facilitation, and Computer Skills
• You can deliver training on FOI legislation, regulations, guidelines, etc.
• You have proven skills in facilitating and coordinating FOI requests with other governments, organizations, and the public
• You have proficiency with computer technology to track and process requests, prepare reports and conduct research.