Becoming an H&R Block associate means more than just a paycheque; it’s an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the Tax Preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to help us look at peoples’ lives through tax and find ways to help. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you! We have proudly served clients in Canada for over 50 years, constantly evolving to meet our clients’ ever-changing needs. From our digital solutions to our offices, we constantly seek new ways to create frictionless and memorable client experiences. Are you ready to join a Calgary-based company where you will make a real difference? H&R Block Canada is looking for a highly qualified lawyer to provide support on legal matters relating to all aspects of the Company’s Canadian business, with a specific focus on privacy and data security issues.
Corporate Counsel will help grow our business and minimize legal and reputational risk by providing expert guidance and opinions on a broad array of operational and employment practices, to ensure compliance with legal requirements. He or she will advise and act as an advocate for the organization and will provide legal representation for the Company as required. As Privacy Officer, the successful candidate will oversee all activities related to the ongoing development, implementation, adaptation, maintenance and adherence to H&R Block’s privacy policies and procedures. You will work on cutting-edge technology-oriented privacy and data security issues as well as physical protocols and protections.
The successful candidate will:
- As Privacy Officer: (a) develop and adapt corporate policies and procedures, and collaborate to deliver effective training to ensure compliance with PIPEDA and applicable provincial legislation; (b) administer internal and external systems for inquiries, access and complaints, including response, investigation, reporting and resolution; (c) work with colleagues and business leaders to integrate privacy principles into the Company’s operational processes; (d) develop and conduct privacy risk assessments and audits; and (e) provide cogent reporting as directed.
- Work as part of the Information Security team to safeguard the Company’s data.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to management and executives in a variety of other legal areas.
- Maintain current knowledge of changes in applicable legislation.
- Draft and/or review legal and corporate documents, corporate communications, advertising, marketing materials and other applicable legal and non-legal documents.
- Conduct legal research and prepare reports and presentations as requested.
- Provide counsel on negotiations and contracts.
The qualifications you need to stand out:
- Law degree (J.D. or LL.B.) and membership or eligibility for membership in the Law Society of Alberta.
- At least 5-7 years of practice in a business environment (top-tier law firm plus in-house preferred).
- Strong substantive background in privacy, data security and internet law and practice, preferably with hands on experience protecting client information.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of commercial contract law, and exposure to one or more of the following substantive legal areas: employment, advertising, litigation, franchise, IP.
- Familiarity with IT and data managements systems, and emerging digital technologies.
- Sound judgment and ability to analyse situations and information.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Solid time management skills and ability to deal with multiple complex matters across multiple business functions.
- Demonstrated ability to create both proactive and defensive legal strategies.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills to interact with colleagues and external agencies.
- Professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is critical.
- Bilingual (French) an asset.