OpenMedia is looking for a rapid response digital campaigner who wants to lead campaigns ensuring the Internet is open, affordable, and surveillance-free, in Canada and beyond.
If you’re an experienced campaigner with great instincts, online savvy and a passion for using people power to turn the tables on corporate and government attacks on the free and open Internet, then this is the job for YOU!
OpenMedia is an effective, dynamic team leading the charge to protect the possibilities of the open Internet. We believe in the power of the Internet to make the world better. To do that, Internet access must be affordable and fast, personal privacy must be respected online, and free expression must be the default mode of the web.
We are a lean digital rights group that punches above our weight. Our community is changing the way the Internet comes together to defend our digital freedoms— the freedoms that make the Internet the greatest tool for sharing knowledge and culture since humans first put charcoal to papyrus.
And, we happen to be looking for another practical idealist who doesn’t want just any ordinary job.
You’ll be working with a small team that includes friendly fellow campaigners, a social media expert, a web developer, fantastic graphic designer, operations guru and fundraising pro.
We work in Canada, the US, the UK, and the EU on campaigns to:
- Create equal access to the Internet throughout Canada
- Fix Canada’s broken cell phone market
- Defend Net Neutrality
- Stand up to government mass surveillance
- Protect privacy on your digital devices at the border
- Stop attacks on encryption in the Five Eyes countries
- Fight censorship machines, and attacks on the right to link in the EU
This position will lead our rapid response campaigning, focusing on Canadian Internet access and telecom issues, online privacy and free expression issues.
The rapid response campaigner will create quick-turnaround campaigns that harness the power of the news cycle into constructive community actions. These campaigns will provide ways for our online community of over 500,000 supporters to take action on the issues that matter most to them.
The key responsibilities are:
- Identify and research campaign opportunities
- Develop powerful and creative campaigns that give people a voice and put pressure on decision makers
- Write and test email copy
- Send out emails using our CRM, including uploading and targeting
- Create and test action pages, including petitions, click-to-call and one-click messaging campaigns
- Lead on crafting punchy messaging for your rapid response campaigns, and work alongside team members (social media, design, and web developer) to take this message to our community.
This position is based in Canada. Our office is in Vancouver, BC but remote working is available for candidates based elsewhere in Canada. We will consider applications from people outside Canada, but familiarity with the Canadian political and cultural landscape is essential.
Skills and experience
You MUST have:
- Prior digital campaigning experience in a similar role – we’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running.
- Strong ability to spot campaigning opportunities, and develop realistic and tangible
- Experience writing and testing email and web copy.
- Prior experience using a CRM to load and send emails.
- Basic familiarity with content management systems, ability to upload images and copy to create action pages (we use Drupal).
- Excellent organizing and communications skills, able to facilitate collaboration across the team.
The following skills are not required, but would be a big benefit:
- Familiarity with issues related to Internet policy, in particular in Canada and the U.S.
- Background in analytics
- Copyediting experience
- Social media experience
- Media skills including interviews (print/television/radio) and developing press releases
- Experience networking and partnering with academics, experts and civil society groups
- Experience with grassroots movements and organizing live protests and/or stunts