At Sun Life, we work together, share common values and encourage growth and achievement. We offer many career paths that attract a wide variety of talent and skills. Follow a path that lets your talents shine.
The Director, Regulatory Management & Privacy (“the Director”) will have overall responsibility for the management of regulatory interaction with the key Regulators overseeing the businesses of SLF Canada (OFSI, FSCO, AMF, OSC, etc.). These responsibilities include management of Regulatory Reviews/Audits, tracking and coordination of responses to regulatory enquiries and overall management of the regulatory relationships. In addition, this role will be accountable for the ongoing management of the Privacy compliance program framework enabling SLF Canada continued compliance with Privacy legislation.
The Director reports directly to the AVP, Regulatory Compliance & Money Laundering Reporting Officer Canada, and collaborates and works closely with Business Unit Compliance Officers and their teams, Corporate Compliance, the Enterprise Privacy Office, and other Control Functions.
- Management of regulatory interaction, including responses to formal regulatory enquiries, day-to-day interaction seeking guidance and providing responses to questions raised by regulators
- Management of Regulatory Reviews/Audits, serving as the overall coordinator for the collection of required materials, interviews, coordination of responses to questions and providing appropriate action plans to regulatory findings.
- Construction and maintenance of the inventory of regulatory enquiries and issues ensuring the appropriate and timely execution of action plans escalating to senior leadership in Compliance and Businesses as required.
- Provide guidance on compliance findings and requirements, engaging appropriate stakeholders and determining business impacts and regulatory risks.
- Manage the Privacy Office which supports SLF Canada BUs, including handling of privacy program related inquiries, handling of escalated incidents and liaison with federal/provincial Privacy Commissioners.
- Monitor SLF Canada business unit adherence to privacy requirements and consult with stakeholders on privacy compliance matters in partnership with BUCOs
- Act as a subject matter expert and ‘go to’ person for privacy regulatory requirements and developments impacting SLF Canada business operations and the financial services industry
- Build and sustain the Privacy Compliance policy framework for SLF Canada, including developing and maintaining Compliance operating guidelines, managing of risk assessments, working with Corporate Compliance on global standards.
- Lead a team of Compliance professionals, providing coaching and feedback
- Represent SLF Canada Compliance on cross-functional projects and industry committees & forums
- Good understanding of the financial services industry and related regulatory regime
- Demonstrated experience in working with Regulators and providing regulatory responses
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Strong project management skills and experience
- Working knowledge of governing Privacy legislation and related regulations
- Understanding of risk assessment methodology
- Ability to work effectively with persons at all levels in the organization
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and project management skills
- Ability to operate and succeed in an abstract and fast changing environment
- Bilingual (English/French) an Asset
What you need to succeed:
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in regulatory compliance, risk or legal in the financial services industry
- Post-secondary education; preferably a degree in law, finance or other relevant advanced degree
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of compliance programs and risk management principles as they apply to financial services
- Proven team leadership experience
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.