Export Development Canada (EDC) is Canada’s export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC’s knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 9,000 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2017, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
Team & Job Overview
EDC is seeking two Senior Privacy Advisors. This role provides expertise and support to the Privacy Program of EDC’s Compliance & Ethics Team. The individual promotes consistency in practices and procedures in the administration of the Privacy Program to ensure compliance with federal and international privacy laws. Reporting to the Manager, Privacy and Access to Information, the Senior Privacy Advisor, among other tasks, coordinates and leads Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA), conducts privacy audits and oversees breach investigations.
Working in a fast-paced environment, the Senior Privacy Advisor manages deadlines and deliverables on simultaneous projects and time sensitive assignments. The Senior Privacy Advisor writes at a professional level and prepares accurate and concise project documentation and reports for a senior audience.
- Provides assistance to EDC business teams and management on the interpretation and application of privacy laws, government and internal policies and related instruments as well as industry standards;
- Designs, develops, implements and promotes awareness of policies, guidelines and procedure documents;
- Assists and manages privacy and other related risks through development of documentation and processes such as Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA);
- Designs, develops, implements and monitors oversight mechanisms to ensure compliance with EDC privacy and other related legal and regulatory obligations;
- Conducts extensive research and analysis of a variety of topics;
- Designs, develops, implements and delivers training and awareness activities for employees;
- Maintains the organization’s ongoing relationships with regulatory commissions/authorities and peer entities;
- Participates in the design, development and implementation of reports to a senior audience; and
- Participates in the development and maintenance of a mechanism to monitor applicable court and administrative decisions, as well as other developments relevant to the program.
- Provides expertise and guidance to business teams regarding compliance requirements and activities in connection with privacy and other related legislation, regulations, and industry standards;
- Leads complex projects and assignments and establishes cross-functional, collaborative relationships with business and technology partners;
- Plans and develops PIAs;
- Responds to internal advisory service requests and exercises discretion within applicable authorities to develop solutions that supports business issues, ensuring privacy and other related compliance risks are adequately identified and addressed;
- Negotiates and influences the adoption of compliant solutions with diplomacy, tact and persuasion;
- Oversees complex or sensitive issues regarding compliance and participates in the investigation of privacy or other related audits/complaints regarding privacy or other related compliance matters;
- Participates in the ongoing review and maintenance of a personal information register;
- Designs, develops, and maintains oversight mechanisms to monitor and verify compliance with EDC privacy and other related legal and regulatory obligations;
- Keeps abreast of legal and regulatory changes in privacy laws and regulations and assesses the impact on the business;
- Leads the privacy breach response process, including investigations, notifications and other resolution efforts;
- Develops internal guidelines and procedures to facilitate compliant behaviours and actions related to statutory privacy obligations;
- Develops and delivers training and awareness initiatives to enhance the organization’s knowledge of and appreciation for compliance related issues; and
- Participates in the development and maintenance of a mechanism to monitor applicable court and administrative decisions, as well as other developments relevant to the Program.
- Undergraduate degree, a Law Degree or a degree in a similar discipline;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in privacy (privacy impact assessment), compliance, law, accounting, audit or related discipline;
- Advanced knowledge of privacy and other related laws, regulations and compliance requirements, as they apply to Crown Corporations;
- Experience coaching/mentoring individuals as well as a strong track record leading projects;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English. (Please note that one of the positions will require excellent communications skills in both official languages).
Closing Date: August 17, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EST