Infoway helps to improve the health of Canadians by working with partners to accelerate the development, adoption and effective use of digital health across Canada. Through our investments, we help deliver improved quality and access to care, and more efficient delivery of health services for patients and clinicians. Infoway is an independent, not-for-profit organization funded by the federal government.
The Executive Director, Health Information Governance & CPO promotes Canada Health Infoway’s commitment to addressing health information governance, including the privacy and security of personal health information, throughout the digital health industry including extensive engagement with internal and external executive leaders.
- Leads the development and executes Infoway’s health information governance strategy recognizing applicable legislation and corporate objectives.
- Provides recommendations and guidance to the executive leaders on information governance matters related to the Corporation’s federal funding agreement and its Risk Management Framework as well as corporate initiatives and strategic plans.
- Identifies implications and provides recommendations and guidance to the executive and Board of Directors on evolving legislation and digital health information issues on a regular basis.
- Builds relationships and collaborates with business units across the organization to contribute to the achievement of corporate goals and ensures that privacy and security are built into the Corporation’s activities.
- Develops and manages partnerships with external stakeholders regarding health information governance issues.
- Partners and leads discussion with executive leaders and a range of stakeholder groups including Privacy Commissioners, Health Ministries, professional organizations, digital health community and standards bodies to identify best practices, and to facilitate the resolution of health information management issues related to digital health and/or Infoway.
- Advises on federal, provincial and cross-jurisdiction committees and councils to influence and promote the development of harmonized health information governance principles.
- As Chief Privacy Officer for Infoway the individual is responsible for providing advice to the organization on privacy issues and for managing Infoway’s privacy program and policies including:
- Developing and updating privacy policies and procedures for Infoway and for emerging Infoway services, e.g. PrescribeIT, to ensure alignment between legislated obligations, the organization’s privacy and security program and its user agreements and information notices etc.
- Managing Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs), Threat Risk Assessments (TRAs) and ensures Compliance Monitoring
- Managing breach response and privacy related concerns raised by the public, stakeholders or privacy oversight offices and collaborates with the CEO and executive leaders to identify and resolve privacy/security and other health information governance issues for PrescribeIT and other Infoway initiatives.
- Working with Infoway business units and key external stakeholders (e.g., Canadian provinces or territories) to develop and maintain PIA and TRAs for all Infoway services e.g., PrescribeIT and manages the privacy impact assessment and threat risk assessment processes.
- Collaborating with and assisting Infoway business units to develop privacy and security compliance monitoring programs and to conduct PIAs and TRAs as appropriate for corporate data holdings and initiatives.
- Leading a team to carry out projects and work activities, which involves feedback, coaching, mentoring, performance management and development opportunities to create and maintain a high-functioning team and foster a positive work environment across the department.
- Graduate degree, in a relevant field
- IAPP designation or equivalent preferred
- 15 years progressive experience with the public and private sectors
- Significant experience managing health information governance, especially privacy, in the health sector
- Extensive knowledge of health information, information management, privacy, legislation, policies and issues. Experience with security, specifically cyber security issues is an asset
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with private and public sector clients and senior officials
- Proven ability to build relationships, influence and persuade including through public speaking
- Ability to travel extensively
- Bilingual Skills (French and English) are an asset