As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers— forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
The FOI Assistant supports the City of Surrey’s mandatory duties under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) legislation addressing accountabilities and best practices as it relates to Fair Information Practices.
Exempt – Regular Part-Time
Reporting to the Records and Privacy Manager in the Corporate Services – Legislative Services Division, the FOI Assistant is responsible for the following:
- Under the supervision of the Records and Privacy Manager, provides support for the day-to-day management of the City of Surrey’s comprehensive FOI program as assigned.
- As assigned, support the FOI Analysts
- Receive, review, clarify and confirm all requests for access to information.
- Triage requests for routine information and/or formal records requests to appropriate business areas.
- Gather and organize records.
- Communicate with Records and Privacy Manager and City of Surrey FOI advisors, and Applicants to clarify information as required.
- Assist with reviewing records, ensuring adherence to legislative requirements and responsibilities to third parties are met.
- Prepare fee estimates, invoices and collect revenue as required
- Maintain departmental stats
- Work effectively with other team members.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 supplemented by a diploma in a related field and completion of FIPPA courses
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience with FOI work or an equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of statutory requirements under FIPPA with knowledge of best practices, principles and processes applicable to Freedom of Information in local government.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines of multiple priorities