Reporting to the Manager, Records and Information, the FOI Specialist coordinates and manages access to information requests made to the City of Richmond under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
Examples of key work activities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring the City meets its obligations to provide individuals with appropriate and timely access to their own personal information and any related issues.
- Ensuring that all statutory requirements under FIPPA are met.
- Ensuring risk and harm to the City is considered in fulfilling the City’s obligations under the Act.
- Providing advice to staff on FOI and privacy matters, including assisting with drafting Privacy Impact Assessments.
- Conducting reviews of records for release.
- Documenting and updating policies and procedures.
- Handing highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Other responsibilities related to the administration of the City’s records management program, as required.
Education & Experience
University Degree in a relevant field (such as law, library or archival science or public administration) supplemented by a minimum of two years experience and related training in managing and processing access requests. Experience as an analyst (or in a role where performing legal or analytical work is a significant percentage of daily work) is preferred. Training in records management and the coordination and administration of the FIPPA or similar legislation is also preferred. An equivalent combination of training, education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge & Skills & Abilities
- Strong expertise and knowledge of all statutory requirements under FIPPA.
- Ability to assess and ensure all statutory requirements under FIPPA are met, including assisting members of the public seeking information about access to records and/or seeking access to their own personal information at the City of Richmond.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and manage the City of Richmond’s response to requests for access to information under FIPPA.
- Ability to conduct preliminary review of records to determine if they are routinely releasable or should be formally processed under FIPPA.
- Demonstrated ability to make recommendations on the release of sensitive and complex information and records.
- Ability to respond to situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to evaluate and ensure risk and harm to the City of Richmond is considered.
- Demonstrated experience in documentation related to policy and procedures required for the City’s FIPPA Manual.
- Ability to assist the Manager, Records and Information in additional FIPPA-related issues.
- Provide advice to staff on FOI and privacy matters: including operational practices, requests for information and development of new programs.
- Ability to coordinate and complete privacy impact assessments (PIAs) and provide advice to departments on possible privacy impacts or compliance issues with FIPPA, where required.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills in conveying information on behalf of the City regarding FIPPA related issues.
- Ability to advise on new and emerging issues related to FIPPA.
- Ability to successfully pass a Police Information Check.
Closing Date 3/19/2017