Reporting to the Corporate Secretary and Senior Counsel, this position is responsible for understanding and assessing corporate compliance and risk, implementing mitigation strategies and managing the privacy management program for the FortisBC group of companies.
- Work to design a coordinated approach to corporate compliance for various business units. Facilitate joint activities involving compliance personnel from across the FortisBC group of companies.
- Participate in the design and administration of our corporate compliance framework. Maintain awareness of current and emergent trends and development on compliance related legislation, industry best practices and internal policies, standards and guidelines.
- Implement an effective compliance management program, including coordinating and confirming compliance status within various business units (Operations, OH&S, MRS, Regulatory, Finance (including Sox), etc.) and the inter-departmental Compliance Committee.
- Review and develop policies and recommendations for best practices to ensure compliance in various compliance areas. Develop effective training and education programs, including working with the training department to develop web-based programs and developing and delivering in-person training to groups of employees.
- Conduct investigations regarding breaches or violations of compliance within certain compliance areas and advise and seek participation from Legal, Internal Audit and Human Resources on an as-needed basis.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with stakeholder, customers, and internal departments. Collaborate with Legal, Internal Audit and Human Resources with respect to breaches, violations and/or investigations in areas other than the Compliance Areas and assist as-needed. Collaborate with Risk Management and Internal Audit to develop strategies to mitigate compliance risk.
- Develop and maintain a process for reporting on non-compliance; reporting and confirming of effective remediation and implementation of post-investigation recommendations.
- Administer governance over the FortisBC Corporate Reference Library.
- Responsible for the implementation of the privacy management program which includes:
- Review of privacy related policies and guidelines;
- Review and respond to access requests from employees and customers;
- Work with business leaders across the FortisBC group of companies to mitigate privacy risks by working through the privacy impact assessment process;
- Investigate and work with business leaders to remediate potential areas of risk;
- Breach response and reporting; and
- Review and develop employee training related to privacy.
Post graduate degree from a relevant and recognized program (law degree will be beneficial), plus a minimum of five (5) years or experience as a compliance or privacy professional or a practicing lawyer (either in-house or in a law firm). Valid BC Driver’s License.
Knowledge and understanding of applicable legislation and regulations
Knowledge of compliance strategy, structure and processes.
Demonstrated ability to analyze, research, evaluate and interpret legal compliance issues
Demonstrated ability to apply superior judgment, strategic and innovative thinking in decision making
Demonstrated ability to exercise professional judgement in the handling information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature
Demonstrated excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; proven capacity to be a self-starter
Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, working independently and as a team member
Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and collaboration to achieve positive working relationships
Demonstrated excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage time-sensitive projects within demanding work schedules
Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems/conflict
Computer skills (MS Office Suite)