We’re looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,400 employees we can’t do without, yet we’re growing as fast as ever.
You may think we’re your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we’re also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You’ll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let’s rethink energy together.
Are you passionate about helping your colleagues do the right thing?
Do you strongly believe in protecting the privacy of others?
Do you have the communication and judgement skills to enable practical application of rules and regulations?
If the answer is yes, then we want to hear from you! We’re looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,400 employees we can’t do without, yet we’re growing as fast as ever.
Reporting to the Director Governance & Corporate Compliance, the Compliance Advisor and Privacy Officer is responsible for understanding and assessing corporate compliance and risk, implementing mitigation strategies and managing the privacy management program for the FortisBC group of companies.
- Facilitate and report on joint activities involving compliance personnel from across the FortisBC group of companies
- Participate in the ongoing design and administration of our corporate compliance framework
- Maintain awareness of current and emergent trends and development on compliance related legislation, industry best practices and internal policies, standards and guidelines
- Conduct a Compliance Risk assessment for our business identifying major compliance risks facing the business, steps taken to mitigate those risks and potential gaps in the compliance framework
- Collaborate with other experts internally to develop strategies to mitigate compliance risk
- Implement an effective compliance management program, including coordinating and confirming compliance status within various business units (Operations, OH&S, MRS, Regulatory, Finance (including Sox), etc.)
- Review and develop policies and recommendations for best practices to ensure compliance in various compliance areas
- Develop effective training and education programs, including working with the training department to develop web-based programs and developing and delivering in-person training to groups of employees
- Conduct investigations regarding breaches or violations of compliance within certain compliance areas and advise and seek participation from Legal, Internal Audit and Human Resources on an as-needed basis
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with stakeholder, customers, and internal departments. Collaborate with Legal, Internal Audit and Human Resources with respect to breaches, violations and/or investigations in areas other than the Compliance Areas and assist as-needed.
- Administer governance over the FortisBC Corporate Reference Library
- Manage the privacy portfolio including breaches, investigations, access requests and any OIPC complaints or inquiries
- Review and manage the FortisBC Compliance Program
- Prepare the FortisBC Compliance Report and design procedures to collect information efficiently
- Conduct a Compliance Risk Assessment
- Degree from a relevant and recognized program (law degree will be beneficial), plus a minimum of five (5) years or experience as a compliance or privacy professional or a practicing lawyer (either in-house or in a law firm)
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable legislation and regulations
- Knowledge of compliance strategy, structure and processes
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, research, evaluate and interpret legal compliance issues
- Strategic and innovative thinking skills
- Excellent problem and conflict solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to exercise professional judgement in the handling information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature
- Exceptional organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; proven capacity to be a self-starter
- Strong interpersonal skills and collaboration to achieve positive working relationships
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Skilled in multi-tasking and time management
- Computer skills (MS Office Suite)