The General Counsel serves as the most senior legal position for AHS and oversees all legal and privacy services for the organization. The position provides expert legal advice and guidance on a variety of legal and privacy issues impacting AHS. The position reports to the Vice President, Human Resources, Legal and Privacy and provides advice to the executive leadership team, as well as oversees the relationships and services provided by external legal counsel. The position works closely with other departments on matters pertaining to risk management including Internal Audit and various committees within AHS.
The General Counsel establishes the strategic direction for the Legal and Privacy department that supports AHS’ mission and vision, and provides operational leadership and guidance to the Legal and Privacy teams. This position develops and maintains strategic and operational relationships with numerous internal and external stakeholders, including Government of Alberta departments.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Legal and Privacy Business:
– Provides legal advice and opinions and leads a team of experts in all legal and privacy matters including but not limited to contracts, policies and procedures, clinical matters, human resource matters, intellectual property matters, health law, litigation, real estate, capital, procurement, governance, and other matters.
– Oversees the provision of legal advice and services from external legal counsel.
Oversees training on legal and privacy matters as required.
– Advises operational departments on contract and governance matters. Advises and negotiates resolutions involving contractual disputes and claims.
– Oversees all litigation or potential litigation by or against AHS.
– Manages and oversees the work done by the Corporate Secretary to maintain and update official corporate record books, including those of subsidiaries, corporate registers, and ensures proper corporate filings.
– Assesses AHS’ legal and privacy liability with respect to its policies, processes and procedures. In consultation with the Internal Auditor, recommends the appropriate steps for risk management, analyzes major areas of concern to AHS and recommends changes to procedures, including administrative appeals and related mechanisms.
– Acts as a strategic advisor to AHS leadership and the Board of Directors; keeps abreast of legislative changes and legal and privacy trends that may impact AHS and provides explanation and recommended courses of action.
– Supports the VP of Human Resources, Legal and Privacy, and senior management, in providing advice, formulating policies and projects and making policy recommendations.
– Identifies proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks.
– Actively participates in committees and meetings such as leadership team meetings.
– Provides leadership to support the development of innovative approaches, ethical decision making, and commitment to achieving established goals and objectives.
– Identifies challenges and opportunities and provides leadership to support the development of innovative and strategic approaches in ways that enable the achievement of operational goals and strategic vision.
– Develops and maintains strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders to influence the direction of key organizational initiatives, change processes and matters of significant interest.
– Oversees the representation of AHS before government officials, agencies, regulatory bodies, and other administrative tribunals on legal and privacy matters.
– Contributes to internal governance policies and manages the impact of external factors.
– Develops and contributes to strategic plans and operational plans that reflect AHS’ mission and vision.
– Provides senior management with legal and privacy advice and information regarding risk management strategies.
– Provides advice regarding legislation impacting AHS.
– Provides leadership through effective communication, ethical decision making, and commitment to achieving established goals and objectives.
– Ensures Legal and Privacy Business Plan supports AHS organizational and strategic objectives, guiding principles and vision.
– Sets priorities, goals and framework for the delivery and coordination of legal and privacy services within AHS. Accountable and responsible for the operationalization and monitoring of legal and privacy items and teams.
– Identifies challenges and opportunities ensuring Key Performance Indicators and standards are measured and achieved. Manages and collaborates with outside counsel including: engagement, budget, monitoring, efficiency and delivery of service; meets with outside counsel regularly to ensure appropriate arrangements are in place.
– Fosters a highly effective workplace with strong commitment to quality and process improvement with a patient care focus.
– Maintains overall responsibility for the Legal department and the Information and Privacy department.
– Manages the operating and capital budgets for Legal and Privacy.
– Plans and determines allocation of resources and authorizes and controls expenditures, including the use of external counsel.
– Manages the appropriate use of legal and privacy resources within AHS.
People Resource Management:
– Fosters an environment in which employees are engaged and contribute to their full potential.
– Develops and implements succession plans and mentorship strategies to ensure ongoing employee development and retention within the Legal and Privacy team.
– Assigns accountabilities to team members and appraises job results.
– Develops a climate for offering information and opinions in a collegial and supportive manner.
– Leads teams in researching unique legal and privacy issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions and codes.
Opportunities and Challenges:
– AHS will present the successful candidate with the opportunity to become engaged in an exciting, complex, and diverse legal and privacy environment within a large scale, intricate health system.
– The successful candidate will be expected to quickly get up to speed with the history of AHS in order to provide the strategic, stable leadership necessary to guide and move a high-functioning team forward to providing exceptional legal and privacy support.
– The successful candidate will join a solid and successful team of engaged and passionate professionals who are committed to serving AHS and providing the best legal and privacy support possible to the organization.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success:
– Success in the first year will be determined by the General Counsel’s ability to:
– Proactively establish the value of the Legal and Privacy teams throughout AHS by strategically establishing a customer service perspective;
– Build relationships with the Executive team and throughout AHS, establishing self as an integrity driven, trusted advisor;
– Support the Legal and Privacy teams to be trusted and well-respected throughout the organization;
– Clearly establish and define the roles of internal and external legal counsel for AHS; and
– Continue to build an effective, stable team and foster a cohesive, collaborative Legal and Privacy teams.
Closing Date 2016-06-23