Reporting to the Freedom of Information and Privacy Coordinator, this position is responsible for supporting the Health Department related to compliance with the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). The position will also ensure an effective health records and information framework is in place for the Halton Health Department.
Post- secondary education in Business or Public Administration, including information management, along with three (3) to five (5) years’ direct experience working with PHIPA is required. Experience in health information management and working knowledge of public health functions are strong assets. Legal research skills, analytical thinking, decision-making skills and strong verbal and written communication skills are needed to perform the essential duties of the job. An elevated attention to detail and ability to manage confidential information is also necessary to be able to accurately review and analyze diverse records in order to provide advice related to access to information, privacy and security, and information management. Certification with the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) would be an asset.
- Provides advice and consultation to the Health Departmental related to the collection, use, disclosure and security of personal health information under PHIPA.
- Develops and updates privacy and security policies and procedures to facilitate compliance with privacy law.
- Supports the management of privacy incidents and privacy breach responses, including representing the Health Department on complaints to the Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC).
- Undertakes privacy impact assessments for new or existing programs that propose changes to the handling of personal health information.
- Creates and delivers training programs about privacy and information handling practices including maintaining the currency of the existing on-line training module.
- Supports the Health Department in complying with access request requirements under PHIPA including submitting annual statistics and dealing directly with the IPC on appeals.
- Researches and interprets IPC orders and amendments to legislation to keep appraised of any new standards that affect privacy.
- Supports existing initiatives and leads the development of new initiatives related to health records and information management, including the implementation of an Electronic Medical Records Program.
- Creates a health records and information management framework and maintains its currency on a regular basis.
- Provides back-up duties to the corporate freedom of information and privacy program, including processing access requests under MFIPPA and responding to inquiries related to personal information handling.
Closing Date December 27, 2018