In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of BC Emergency Health Services (BCEHS), patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at BCEHS, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all patient and employee safety aspects of this position
Reporting to the Director, Risk Management Program, this position is responsible for administering and processing the release of medical records for BCEHS and in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA) requests. This role is also accountable for responding to multiple and varied demands for information that includes access to personal and confidential information including personnel files, litigation research, investigation reports/findings, and patient records. Assistance is provided to program areas in the interpretation and implementation (including severing) of the privacy provisions of the FOIPPA.
- Processes formal requests for records by reviewing, analyzing and severing sensitive and complex records to prepare them for release within legislated requirements and time frames including FOIPPA, and all other relevant provincial or federal legislation.
- Reviews and ascertains the nature and extent of information requests, making preliminary decisions, in accordance with FOIPPA and BCEHS policies.
- Assists applicants or legal counsel for applicants to exercise their information rights by consulting and/or negotiating to better define, clarify or narrow request.
- Determines and prepares fee estimates according to the extent of time required to locate and prepare the requested records.
- Corresponds with applicants to explain the rationale under FOIPPA for information being released or withheld.
- Consults with legal counsel to obtain, interpret and apply legal opinions. Analyzes litigation cases and legal documents to identify the scope of the case, identify issues, the complexity and magnitude of documentary evidence in each law suit and the possible sources of documentary evidence within the organization.
- Provides support and advice on interpretation and application of information and privacy legislation including privacy impact assessments, protecting privacy in electronic and paper media, information collection and disclosure protocols, and data access and research agreements.
- Manages legal custody of documents forwarded from various sites and is responsible for audit trail and security of all documents sent the branch.
- Monitors and reviews the decisions of the Office of the Information & Privacy Commission (OIPC) to support informed decision making and militate against appeals and reviews by the OIPC.
- Monitors legislative and policy developments in FOIPPA practice and maintains awareness of FOI trends and developments
- Explains complex concepts and procedures to staff and the public to educate and inform regarding the scope of the FOIPPA and ensure compliance with organizational privacy and access policy.
- Plans and conducts extensive research to locate all relevant sources of information, consulting with program areas, to obtain and determine relevance of background information. Reviews the work of the regions and makes determinations regarding the sensitivity of the information requested and whether executive should be notified or involved. Reviews all documents and records in detail to determine what materials can be released under FOIPPA and the best means of releasing materials
- Represents BCEHS with regard to requests for review mediated by OIPC, between the Ministry of Health, PHSA, the applicant, and legal counsel, when necessary. Provides detailed information to legal counsel for appeals before the OIPC.
- Provides interpretations on the intent and content of the legislation and related BCEHS and PHSA policies, guidelines and procedures. Provides specific advice and guidance on particular issues or requests for information, including advising on the handling of requests in accordance with the sensitivity and complexity of the issues involved and interpretations on the exceptions under which information may be withheld under the legislation.
- Participates in management/team meetings to discuss and support new requests and ongoing files
- Assesses information and training needs, develops training and information materials, and delivers training to management and staff.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
Grade 12, graduation from an approved program and one year’s recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to keyboard 60 w.p.m.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.