Deadline for applications: 26thJune 2019, midnight
As the United Nations agency with a specific mandate to promote “the free flow of ideas by word and image”, UNESCO works to foster free, independent and pluralistic media in print, broadcast and online. Media development in this mode enhances freedom of expression, and it contributes to peace, sustainability, poverty eradication and human rights.
As part of UNESCO Phnom Penh Office’s on-going initiatives in relation to fostering freedom of expression and access to information, within the framework of UNESCO’s global Communication and Information sector, a consultant / media development expert is required to provide support to the media development working group, coordination among media development partners, media-stakeholder mapping, and capacity-building of the media development sector in Cambodia.
The Consultant will also provide technical assistance for smooth implementation of UNESCO’s “Working Towards an Access to Information law in Cambodia: Bridging the Government and Citizens for Participatory Law-making” project (A2I Project), and the “Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum Archives Preservation and Digitization project in Cambodia” (TSGMAPD project).
The Expert will be required to work closely with the project team and relevant project partners, to implement project activities, coordinate media development working group, conduct research on innovative frameworks and methodologies to support project expansion and scaling-up, and support in designing and drafting proposals for subsequent stages of the project. The Expert will support in preparing progress reports, and conducting advocacy initiatives for UNESCO’s activities pertaining to the projects.
Under the overall authority of UNESCO’s Country Representative to Cambodia, and in close consultation with A2I and TSGMAPD project teams in UNESCO Phnom Penh Office, the Expert shall undertake the following tasks:
A. In relation to the A2I project’s work-plan, the Expert shall:
- Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Information and media community for review and finalization of the draft Law on Access to Information (A2I), including assessing pre-requisites for implementation of the law.
- Support in designing and commemorating the International Day for Universal Access to Information, in consultation with Ministry of Information, media development partners, media community, and journalists in Cambodia.
- Identify partners and design capacity building activities to strengthen A2I ecosystem in the country, especially through thematic areas including (a) Fake news and A2I nexus, (b) ethical investigative journalism and safety of journalists, and (c) Media and Information-Literacy (MIL).
- Provide technical assistance, and support in preparing necessary project progress reports, communication with the donor and partners, as well as the final project report.
B. In relation to the TSGMAPD project’s work-plan, the Expert shall:
- Provide technical assistance for external outreach for the TSGMAPD project. Specifically, support the project partner for content development for different target audience to raise awareness about the archives and events during the Khmer Rouge regime.
- Support TSGMAPD team and content development partner in developing innovative communication products, in line with UNESCO’s standards.
- Work closely with TSGMAPD team to prepare a communication campaign and dissemination strategy for content created.
- Provide technical assistance and support in preparing the final project report, and in communication with the donor to highlight project outcomes and outline next steps.
C. In relation to UNESCO Phnom Penh office’s Media Development and Coordination initiatives, the Expert shall:
- Conduct and provide technical assistance for active functioning of the media development working group.
- Coordinate with media partners and stakeholders, conduct a media-donors mapping for effective coordination, and develop a short report / concept for assessment of media landscape in Cambodia, in line with UNESCO’s Media Development Indicators (MDI) framework.
- Provide technical assistance to develop concept notes and project documents, based on a thorough needs analysis, for potential next stages of the A2I and TSGMAPD projects.
- Undertake any additional tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Country Representative, related to the CI sector.
The Expert will submit monthly progress reports detailing technical assistance for the following deliverables:
- Progress made in activities II.A.1 – II.A.4, including report on technical assistance provided to II.A.1, report on commemoration of A2I Day, report on capacity building activities under II.A.3, and final project report of A2I project.
- Progress made in activities II.B.5 – II.B.8, including report on technical assistance for outreach of TSGMAPD’s i.e. support provided for Information Education and Communication (IEC) product development to project partner, for dissemination strategy for IEC materials, and for preparing final project report.
- Progress made in activities II.C.9 – II.C.12, including technical assistance provided for media development working group, short report / concept for assessment of media landscape in Cambodia, and assistance provided to development of subsequent stages of A2I and TSGMAPD projects.
- Final progress report detailing progress achieved in relation with II.A, II.B and II.C.