WestJet has been and will be significantly expanding its global network and the size of its business. As WestJet becomes more complex and challenging, the need for strong compliance, processes and legal advice is critical to successfully manage our future growth.
We are seeking an additional legal counsel with employment and privacy experience to join our dynamic legal team. You will become the privacy officer for WestJet and its affiliates.
You will develop, coordinate, and map processes, document procedures, and build requirements needed to operate these processes and procedures to ensure an efficient and effective partnership with the people department. The position will require the development of a full understanding of all people department processes.
You will have the passion, positive drive, and agility to deliver sophisticated advice in a high-volume environment for a variety of our internal clients. You will combine your strong business acumen and strategic legal counsel to partner with other members of the legal team, all levels of the organization as well as external legal counsel.
You should have a pragmatic and professional nature, be able to establish and meet deadlines, and be a highly motivated, well-rounded self-starter with a high energy level. WestJet is also looking to you to be an active contributor to the business and take a value-added approach to the role.
- Overseeing all employment, privacy, and immigration matters at WestJet and its affiliates;
- Providing pragmatic and timely advice to WestJet’s people department (and others) on employment standards, performance management, human rights, labour relations, alcohol and drug issues, absence and disability management, and compensation and benefits;
- In concert with the people department:
- Lead and support process improvement activities;
- Research, assess and assist with implementation of best practices;
- Inspect effectiveness of process improvement initiatives; and
- Lead and facilitate continuous improvement.
- Monitoring people, privacy, and immigration policies to ensure compliance;
- Develop structure and procedures to manage employment and privacy training and compliance;
- Instructing and managing external counsel on a variety of employment, immigration, and privacy related files;
- Reviewing, vetting, drafting, negotiating and revising contracts for WestJet business units;
- Represent WestJet in negotiations and discussions and other dealings with third party regulators, government authorities, industry associations, customers, consultants and other outside constituents; and
- Provide general legal advice to all areas of WestJet and its affiliates.
- Must be a lawyer with at least 8 years of legal experience in a law firm or in-house counsel position and be a member in good standing of the Alberta Bar;
- Broad base of employment and privacy law required;
- Experience with alcohol and drug policies;
- Broad base of corporate commercial and/or regulatory experience an asset;
- Experience with work-place investigations;
- Some experience with immigration;
- Proven ability to deal with complex commercial legal issues involving multiple areas of the law and multiple jurisdictions;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to interact with different departments and management levels across the company;
- Experience with delivering training on a departmental and enterprise basis;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills required;
- Ability to excel in a fast paced environment with changing deadlines and priorities;
- Committed team player with a great sense of humour; and
- Bilingualism (English/French) would be an asset.
- A competitive compensation package including base salary, short and long term incentives, as well as flexible benefits, will be provided commensurate with your experience.