Currently we are hiring a privacy lawyer to join our team. Information is a vital organizational resource, and Peel Children’s Aid Society depends on accurate, readily available information to assist in management decision-making, provide litigation support, improve organizational efficiency, document compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements, and to provide historical reference. You will provide proactive, responsive and innovative legal advice on a wide range of issues related to privacy to mitigate potential privacy legal risks, including in respect of new business initiatives, transactions and complaints. You will be responsible for advising on a wide range of privacy legal matters.
- A Bachelor of Laws or a Juris Doctor degree from a recognized university and a licensee entitled to practice law in the province of Ontario
- 2-5 years of relevant post-call experience providing legal advice primarily on privacy matters. In-house experience considered a plus and experience in child welfare a bonus but not required.
- Substantive data management and protection, and data privacy experience and an in-depth knowledge of federal and provincial privacy statutes.
- Experience providing regulatory and policy advice in the areas of data protection, privacy law and other areas of information law.
- Sound legal and business judgment to provide practical solutions to complex privacy, data and disclosure issues.
- An ability to manage multiple competing tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Highly developed negotiation skills and the ability to quickly get to the key issues and present persuasive legal positions.
- A proven ability to work independently and collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership style and work behaviour that align with our core cultural values.
- Excellent communication and drafting skills.
- A member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Implement Privacy by Design principle across operations, assess and make recommendations for improving privacy and security practices.
- Manage privacy related risks, including assisting with issue resolution, internal and external communications and providing privacy related guidance and advice.
- Review Privacy Impact Assessments for major initiatives and organizational changes.
- Lead/manage internal and external privacy audits and implement audit recommendations.
- Provide legal advice regarding privacy and disclosure compliance requirements and opportunities for improvement of privacy policies.
- Responsible for the privacy consent process, ensuring all consent and related disclosures are operating and archived appropriately.
- Provide advice to the business units in respect of data classification, retention and destruction.
- Update privacy policies, negotiating and drafting master services agreements in accordance with privacy requirements.
- Develop guidelines, training and tools to support privacy awareness, accountability and compliance.
Additional responsibilities related to child welfare will include
- Prepare and present cases in court under the Child, Youth and Family Services Act;
- Advise and consult with Child Protection Team Leaders and Child Protection Workers; We use an integrated model of legal service where Legal Counsel must provide legal services within the framework of the values, the vision and the mission of Peel CAS.
The salary range for this position is $100,394 to $122,985. We also offer an excellent benefits package and four weeks’ vacation per year
CLOSING DATE: October 15, 2021