Our Board & Information Services Department is seeking a Legislative Services Coordinator – Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIPP) who will provide support in processing access to information requests and contribute to the development and operation of a privacy management program.
- Passionate about applying privacy principles in a public body;
- A people-oriented person and enjoy translating policy definitions and legislated requirements from FOIPPA into audience appropriate language;
- Interested in assessing, evaluating and improving current processes for access to information and privacy management;
- Able to work in a collaborative work environment involving partners with different business requirements.
The Legislative Services Coordinator – FOIPP reports to the Manager, Information Governance and falls within our Corporate Support, Level 2B job family.
- Provides information and administrative support to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy program.
- Provides assistance to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy program in processing requests under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act as required.
- Assists with providing training to staff involved in processing FOI requests and employees and contractors that have access and privacy responsibilities as part of their role.
- Provides administrative assistance with the investigation of privacy breaches, privacy complaints received from employees or the public, and Privacy Impact Assessments.
- Prepares administrative items and arrangements such as following up on outstanding items.
- Conducts research on specified topics and sources supportive materials. Prepares and maintains correspondence, records, and administrative reports.
- Provide general guidance on Access Requests made under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Provides information, assistance and guidance to internal and external contacts pertaining to departmental operations, policies, decisions of boards and committees and related matters.
- Provides corporate training in Legislative Service topics and assists with the preparation of training materials.
- Keeps current on applicable laws, statutes and acts associated with the scope of responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 5 years of recent, related experience supplemented by high school graduation and completion of relevant post-secondary courses in local government, business or legal administration; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A Certificate in Local Government Administration and/or completion of FOIPP courses is an asset.
- Considerable knowledge of administrative practices, procedures and standard protocols. Demonstrated administrative skills and abilities including the ability to prepare and format documents for internal and external clients, and manage multiple competing priorities with tact and professionalism.
- Considerable knowledge of Metro Vancouver’s functions, structure, and broad objectives.
- Considerable knowledge of the applicable sections of relevant bylaws and legislation and of other rules, policies and regulations governing work. Ability to make decisions and provide guidance where the action is clearly prescribed and discernment as to when consultation with a supervisor is required.
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling and grammar.
- Ability to work independently under broad direction, including managing day to day priorities and planning for future needs. Ability to use judgment to select and interpret information and handle deviations from standard methods and practices. Ability to identify and engage the appropriate resources to resolve issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively listen, and support the resolution of problems.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare reports that accurately convey deliberations, decisions and recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize tasks to meet multiple time-based deliverables requiring a high level of detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, use sound judgment and maintain appropriate confidentiality and discretion in the disclosure of information to elected officials, internal and municipal staff, and the public.
- Ability to provide guidance to other staff on work processes, work collaboratively and diplomatically and contribute to the team with constructive ideas and information.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Acrobat, and SharePoint. Working knowledge of a complex corporate records management system.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, 2SLGBTQI+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link https://metrovancouver.org/about-us/careers to our Careers page where you can submit your application by August 14, 2023.
Position Title: Legislative Services Coordinator – FOIPP
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Board & Information Services
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: $74,201.68 – $87,309.45 annually