- Current active registration and certification with the Canadian College of Health Record Administrators
- Member of the Canadian Health Information Management Association
- Member of the Ontario Health Information Management Association
- Minimum five years’ experience
- Must have advanced computer skills including a working knowledge and experience with:
o ICD-10 coding practices and CIHI standards o MED2020/WinRecs
o Crystal Reporting
o Microsoft Office products
o Meditech experience, preferred
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Bilingual (English/French), an asset
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDED BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Ensure correct coding and timely submission of data to the government while maintaining efficient operations
- Implement and maintain a Continuous Quality Improvement Program within the department
- Participate in the Internal Quality, Patient Safety, Utilization Committee ensure appropriate information is provided to the committee to help with decision making (this will include results of concurrent reviews)
- Draft, implement and maintain hospital-wide policies and procedures under your responsibility as Privacy Officer and FIPPA Coordinator
- Work under minimal or no supervision
- Other duties, as assigned by the CEO or VP of support services and CFO
- Provide regular reports, data and indicators to the NRC patient satisfaction center, Internal Quality Committee, senior management and other departments as applicable
- Will schedule shifts and report hours worked to the payroll department.
- Will establish and maintain departmental policies, procedures and routines as set out by the Public Hospitals Act and the Standards for Accreditation of Canadian Health Facilities and other applicable legislation.
- Will know and adhere to all hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Will report all unusual occurrences such as safety incidents, personnel issues, etc.
- Will participate in the operating and capital budget process.
HEALTH INFORMATION SYSTEMS SUPERVISION
- Will be responsible for selecting, training, supervising, orientating and evaluating health information services staff.
- Will be responsible for the managing, disclosure and provision of internal / external information requirements in conjunction with your responsibilities as the hospital-wide Privacy Officer and FIPPA Coordinator.
- Will participate on intra-departmental committees as required.
- Will maintain current manuals and policies as per Accreditation and legislative standards.
- Will handle all correspondence to the department, obtaining proper authorization when needed.
- Will present hospital requirements on confidentiality to new employees during orientation
RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHERS
- Will develop and maintain good working and effective relationships with physicians and other hospital staff and with the public.
- Will interact with medical staff, hospital staff, and patients.
- Will observe professional ethics regarding patient confidentiality.
- Will attend and participate in in-service, continuing education programs, and staff meetings.
- Will conduct annual performance appraisals/continuing competency assessments on all health information services staff.
MONTHLY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare monthly statistics for the Medical Advisory Committee, e.g. ALOS, delinquent charts, etc.
- Data QA and CIHI submissions of DAD, NACRS, CCRS and NRS data.
- Encourages recognition, reporting and acknowledgements of risks to patient/visitor and employee safety and medical/healthcare errors
- Initiates/monitors actions to reduce these risks/errors
- Internally reports findings and actions taken