As Alberta’s ‘Botanical Arts City’, St. Albert is a community renowned for its botanical arts, its commitment to a green lifestyle and the cultivation of activities that provide for a well-rounded quality of life. Our employees provide over 64,000 residents with high-quality programs and services and are proud to contribute to making St. Albert one of the best places to live in Canada.
The City of St. Albert is seeking to hire a Manager, Privacy and Records to work in the Legislative Services department. The Manager will lead the development, implementation and maintenance of the City’s records and information management program and the fulfillment of the City’s obligations under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act. Reporting to the Chief Legislative Officer, the Manager will directly oversee a team that includes the Information and Privacy Specialist, Records and Information Coordinator and Records Analyst.
The Manager will develop policies, standards, guidelines, processes and procedures for the records and information management framework and legislative requirements, and foster compliance with relevant policies, standards and processes. The Manager will also provide strategic and operational analysis advice to senior management and departmental leaders regarding initiatives and programs that include receiving, handling, processing, storing, retrieving and/or destruction of information or documents in any quantity, medium or format. The Manager is further responsible for preparing the final response to complex FOIP requests and in approving all others prepared by the Information and Privacy Compliance Specialist, as well as preparing submissions to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner, including those required for reviews being conducted by the Commissioner.
The Manager will be expected to have the knowledge and willingness to support the Deputy Clerk and Chief Legislative Officer with their functions for coverage and/or work balancing from time to time.
The position is well suited to someone who has an aptitude for process and detail, combined with the ability to collect, analyze and write summaries and reports on data and statistics.
• Completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field.
• Completion of a certificate program relating to Access and Privacy (IAPP Program) is preferred.
• A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience, preferably within a municipal government setting with respect to FOIP, in the handling of confidential information and records management. Equivalencies will be considered. Experience as a leader or in management is preferred.
• Preferred candidates will have a high level of understanding of the municipal policy and legislative framework, experience with project management, and experience with various municipal software packages relevant to the Legislative Services department.
• You must possess highly developed writing and editing skills and excellent verbal skills.
• Thorough knowledge of Municipal Government Act, the FOIP Act, and other related municipal legislation will be beneficial.
• Presentation skills are a strong asset, as the Manager may lead training sessions.
• Valid Class 5 Drivers License.
• Competency in standard office business tools and proficient in the use of spreadsheets and databases.