The Officer, Access to Information and Privacy makes decisions pursuant to the Privacy and ATI Acts to grant the right of access to requesters on Privacy and ATI requests. Responds to requests within specified time limits. Provides advice on Privacy and ATI to management, staff, stakeholders and requesters. Supports the Manager of Privacy and ATI and the Director in meeting the plans and obligations of the Privacy and ATI team. Works with stakeholders at all levels, such the Office of Primary Interest (OPI) to meet Privacy ATI requirements and objectives. Supports the execution of all Privacy and ATI requests.
Below are the main job requirements and responsibilities for the Officer, Access to Information and Privacy.
- Processes ATI and Privacy requests in accordance with ATI and Privacy legislation and corporate policy. Adheres to processes and timelines, secures the privacy of requesters from disclosure to OPIs and others.
- Analyzes documents and advises requesters on alternative methods to obtain access to information outside the ATIP Acts, such as through “informal access” (i.e., when no exemptions apply or only a cursory review of the records is required) to be used by the requester for a multitude of purposes.
- Explains the requirements of the Privacy Act to requesters and advises them on how to exercise their rights to obtain and/or correct their personal information for their personal or financial benefit (e.g. to support pension or disability claims).
- Assesses Privacy and ATI requests and determines the statutory right of access to corporate information under Privacy and ATI legislation. Analyzes documents and applies the provisions of Privacy and ATI legislation.
- Provides advice, interpretation and guidance on Privacy and ATI to management, stakeholders, staff and requesters on the application of the Privacy and ATI Acts and related regulations within the Corporation. Explains Privacy and ATI legislation and its application and negotiates on the scope and extent of requests.
Job Responsibilities (continued)
- Consults on and resolves cases, including those involving third parties, and others. Safeguards information protected by Privacy and ATI legislation or other statute/regulation from improper or inappropriate disclosure (e.g. confidential industrial relations information, etc.).
- Negotiates recommendations on the disclosure/non-disclosure of information. Negotiates and develops strategies for the resolution of complaints under investigation by the Information Commissioner.
- Analyzes Privacy and ATI issues and recommends changes to policies, procedures and guidelines. Participates in preparing and delivering Privacy and ATI-related information and training sessions.
- Shares responsibility for advising program managers and employees on the requirements of Privacy and ATI legislation and encouraging adherence.
- Keeps up-to-date on changes in interpretation affecting Privacy and ATI application, policy and process at Canada Post to ensure that procedures for managing Privacy and ATI remain effective and efficient.
- Completed post-secondary, preferably in a related field OR a combination of equivalent professional experience and training
- 1 to 3 years of relevant functional experience
- (If managing a team) One or more years’ experience managing people
- One or more years of experience in a unionized environment an asset
Other Candidate Requirements
- Proficient computer skills and competent with Microsoft Office programs
- Strong communication, analytical, and customer service skills
Safety Sensitive Positions
This position may be considered a Safety Sensitive position.
Canada Post is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
Conflict of Interest
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.
If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience. We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Our Leadership Behaviours
Decision Making – A champion of the organization who takes calculated risks and makes prudent, common sense decisions about current issues, future opportunities and resource requirements in a timely, well thought out manner that aligns with the corporation’s best interests.
Accountability – An individual who strives for performance excellence and who holds him/herself and direct reports accountable for decisions and actions and for learning from mistakes when intended results are not achieved.
Business Orientation – A proactive individual who understands the competitive nature of the business, and is committed to sustaining the business through excellent customer service and new business opportunities.
Execution – A focused and self-motivated individual who acts with a sense of urgency and delivers on time and within budget, by dealing effectively with challenges and ambiguous situations.
Leading People – A compelling communicator and leader who engages, motivates and inspires others to achieve results and who encourages personal growth and finding better ways of doing things.
Canada Post’s corporate values reflect the principles, beliefs and aspirations that guide our behaviour and shape our culture.
Transformation – We will innovate and transform to win in the marketplace.
Customer – We serve Canadians with pride and passion.
Integrity – We act responsibly and with integrity.
Respect – We treat each other with fairness and respect.
Safety – We are committed to a safe and healthy environment for all our stakeholders.
Health and safety is our highest priority. With vaccination shown to be the most effective tool to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 and protecting individuals from severe consequences of this virus, Canada Post has implemented a Vaccination Practice. Accordingly, you will be required to attest to being fully vaccinated. If you are unable to be vaccinated, you may request an accommodation due to a medical, religious, or other prohibited ground of discrimination as described in the Canadian Human Rights Act.
Employment Type: Full-Time
Language Requirements: Bilingual Imperative (BBBB)
Job ID: 153514
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Requisition Id: 153514
Business Function: Privacy and Compliance
Primary City: Ottawa Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Status: Permanent
Language Requirement: Bilingual Imperative (BBBB)
Number of Vacancies 1
Job Closing Date: 05/11/2022