The ‘Structure and Organisation of Government’ research committee of the International Political Science Application seeks application for the position of Editor of the leading international journal Governance, published by Wiley, for an initial term of three years with the option of reappointment thereafter .
Governance is a leading peer – reviewed, quarterly journal publishing research centred on governance, policy and administration. Governance was established by SOG and Wiley to promote the international and comparative study of governance in the context of policy, administration and institutions. The journal has no specific methodological orientation, apart from requiring analytical excellence and substantive relevance. The Editorial Board reflects the international leading nature of the journal and the journal receives submissions from a broad range of countries.
Detailed information about the journal can be found at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1468 – 0491
The position of Editor will begin on January 1, 201 8, following a period of informal transition with the outgoing Editors, Alasdair Roberts and Robert Cox. Traditionally, Governance has been co-edited to deal with the workload. We therefore welcome proposals involving co-editorship or editorial teams. Responsibilities of the new Editor will include establishing the editorial direction and control of each issue. Specifically, the Editor will:
- determine the scope of the journal;
- appoint Editorial Board members and a Book Review Editor as needed;
- collaborate with the Editorial Board and SOG to identify and recruit authors and relevant, high quality papers;
- oversee the peer – review process using ScholarOne Manuscript;
- ensure content for currency and accuracy;
- in consultation with the Publisher, manage ethical issues;
- work with SOG and Wiley staff to guide the journal’s strategic development; and
- promote the journal at conferences globally and help market it through various channels;
- co-operate with the SOG executive in developing the journal and the wider research community interested in the structure and organisation of government.
Candidates should have strong scholarly reputations and established networks in the field of governance and prior experience working on a peer – reviewed journal, as well as writing and manuscript reviewing experience. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a deep understanding of the current issues f acing governance.
Interested candidates should submit the following information by September 1, 2016, to Martin Lodge (M.email@example.com )
- Curriculum vitae
- A letter (2 – page limit) describing your strategic vision for the journal and your qualifications for the position of Editor.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by October 1, 2016, and a final decision will be announced on December 15, 2016. In order to assure a smooth transition, editorial responsibilities may pre – date the actual start date of January 1, 2018.
This position includes a generous honorarium and the assistance of a Wiley – based managing editor.
Initial interviews will be held by telephone /skype and will be kept confidential unless the candidate requests otherwise. Letters of recommendation will be required only for shortlisted candidates.
Please submit your application via email to: Martin Lodge M.Lodge@lse.ac.uk