The Privacy, Information Access & Policy Management office is looking for a regular, full time Privacy Advisor.This position provides expertise in the areas of information and privacy management and supports Access and privacy strategies and activities that enable BCIT to fulfil its obligations under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and related access and privacy legislation.
The Advisor, as a member of the Information Access and Privacy Office (IAPO) team and under the direction of the Associate Director, works in partnership with departmental and program managers and leaders within the Institute, to implement information access and privacy policies and processes. This position participates in the development and delivery of training workshops, conducts research on a wide range of privacy related matters, and is responsible for monitoring, reporting and escalating any risks to privacy to ensure that appropriate actions are taken.
- Supports the Associate Director, Privacy, Information Access and Policy Management and the designated “Head” of the public body on strategic, tactical and administrative privacy activities, as
- Investigates concerns and complaints and takes appropriate action regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information and allegations into breaches of privacy; escalates any reputational, legal or regulatory risk to the Associate
- Provides reports and recommendations for improving access and privacy procedures and practices and increasing administrative and operational productivity and
- Ensures that notifications, forms, procedures, and processes for collecting personal information and obtaining authorization/consent for the use and disclosure of personal information are regularly reviewed for compliance with FIPPA requirements and related Institute
- Liaises with legal counsel, administrators, faculty, and staff on privacy matters, complaints, investigations or appeals.
- Participates in Information Access and Privacy strategic planning, program, policy and service
- Conducts policy analysis and research and prepares reports and recommendations for the development and implementation of Institute policies involving the collection, use and/or disclosure of personal
- Participates in reviews of Institute policies and practices to assess risks to privacy. Provides strategic input from an information access and privacy and compliance perspective into Institute policies and guidelines involving personal
- Responds to inquiries and access to information requests received by the Information Access and Privacy Office(IAOP)thataresubjecttoFIPPA;providesadviceandguidanceintheapplicationofFIPPAandresolves issues that may arise; ensures legislated timelines and procedures are
- Analyzes information requests and works with staff and faculty across the Institute to identify and produce records responsive to
- ResearchesandanalyzescaselawandOIPCprecedentsandconsultswithstakeholderstoensuretheirviews and concerns are taken into account in the application of discretionary
- Assists with conducting privacy breach investigations and privacy
- Supports the Associate Director in managing data breaches and significant privacy matters including inter- action with third party service providers, legal counsel, privacy individuals, breach notification, liaison and providing reports to the
- Authors Privacy Impact Assessment (PIAs) for Institute projects and initiatives to determine privacy and security issues and gaps in policy procedures and technologies, identify risk mitigation strategies and ensure adherence to legal, regulatory and contractual privacy
- Determines needs for Information Sharing Agreements. May participate in the negotiation and execution of ISAs and other agreements between BCIT and a third party involving the collection and disclosure of personal information/data.
- As directed by the Associate Director, assists with development of operations plans, proposals, business cases and cost-benefit
- Assists with the planning, development, delivery and evaluation of employee privacy awareness training and education sessions and materials; actively participates in training initiatives, new employee orientation and related
- With direction from the Associate Director, prepares and updates information Access and Privacy Office communicationstoraiseawarenessofspecificprivacyissuesandriskswithintheBCITcommunityandto ensure that employees, students and the public understand their respective rights, obligations and responsibilities in relation to
- Supports the development and delivery of privacy tools and resources to promote privacy awareness and support compliance including website content for the BCIT Information Access and Privacy intranet
WHAT THIS POSITION HAS TO OFFER:
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a competitive pension plan
- Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development
- Tuition waivers for BCIT courses
- Subsidized parking and fitness facilities
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in an appropriate discipline and a minimum of 5 years related experience as a in a public sector environment. CIPP or IAPP designation an asset. An equivalent combination of education/training may be
- Demonstrated in-depth experience in planning, developing and implementing access and privacy related projects and
- Knowledge and experience in the field of information access and privacy in the public sector, preferably in a post-secondary educational institution.
- Team player with superb analytical, facilitation, leadership, coaching and supervisory
- Excellentverbal,writtenandinterpersonalcommunicationWelldevelopedplanning,organizing, decision making, implementation, and problem solving and conflict resolutionskills.
- Proven ability to deal tactfully and decisively with sensitive client issues while maintaining the highest levels of customer service and confidentiality. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines and handle changing priorities
- Proficiency in MS Office products and records management
START DATE: August 6, 2018
COMPETITION NUMBER: 18M201
OPEN DATE:June 2, 2018
CLOSING DATE:June 20, 2018
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.