The IWK Health Centre is an internationally recognized and respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million women, children, youth and families across the Atlantic region. The IWK is committed to a workplace where our staff, physicians, learners and volunteers reflect the patients, families and communities that we serve. We seek and encourage applicants who reflect our broad diversity, and we are committed to reducing barriers to employment and career growth.
Accountable to Legal Services, the Privacy Coordinator is primarily responsible for developing and implementing the IWK’s privacy program and coordinating the processes associated with monitoring compliance with privacy legislation, policies, and best practices. This includes follow-up of audit reports of the various electronic information systems containing personal health information at the IWK Health Centre; reviewing and investigating privacy breaches, complaints and requests under the Personal Health Information (PHIA) and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIPOP) Acts; coordinating privacy impact assessments, including tracking and follow-up; developing and presenting reports to management on the IWK’s compliance/performance; filing reports with privacy regulators; co-leading the IWK’s Privacy Best Practice Committee, providing consultation and education to IWK staff, and being the IWK privacy representative on the Research Ethics Board (REB) and various provincial committees/initiatives.
Hours of Work
37.5 hours per week; 7.5 hour shifts, Monday – Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- University graduate in related field (e.g. Law, Business Administration, Health Information Management, Information Technology; Healthcare Profession) or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience required
- Privacy, information systems audit or security designation as asset (e.g. IAPP, CISA, CISSP, MCSA)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience related to information systems audit and/or privacy protocols, policies or procedures or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience required
- Experience in following up on privacy matters or applying privacy protocols or policies, information systems audit
- Good understanding of privacy legislation, principles and best practices
- Experience in a health care setting an asset
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite and spreadsheet and database applications
- Working knowledge of patient information systems used at the IWK (e.g. Meditech) an asset
- Demonstrates understanding of and ability to protect privacy and confidentiality
- Demonstrates knowledge of privacy legislation and processes.
- Familiar with the requirements of the Personal Health Information Act and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIPOP) Act
- Ability to self-organize and prioritize work
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and self-aware; demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- High degree of tact, diplomacy, integrity and impartiality required
- Superior judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work with minimal supervision including the ability to prioritize work effectively
- Understanding and commitment to the principles of patient and family centred care
- Strong analytical and logical problem solving ability while maintaining an attention to detail
- Skilled at conducting presentations and training
- Respects the dignity, values, privacyand beliefs of the individual and keeps confidentiality of patient information paramount at all times
- Understands how ethical issues in the health care environment affect work practices
- Strong customer service skills including the ability to Identify customer needs and make every effort to meet customer expectations in a friendly, helpful and effective manner
- Respects and supports management decisions
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and conflict resolution strategies
- Effective and efficient time management skills
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred