Our team provides expert advice and professional guidance by balancing the right of access to information with the right to privacy. We promote corporate accountability through leadership, expertise and advice on legislation, policy, standards and best practices regarding information access and privacy to our clients. We’re on the lookout for talented people who will share our vision and values in providing quality support.
About Our Opportunity
As a member of the Access and Privacy Services Team, you will report to the Manager, Privacy Program. You will provide specialized and operational support to government wide initiatives in an environment of shared services. You also provide knowledge and expert advice to client departments, senior leadership and executive teams on privacy matters.
As the Privacy Specialist your key responsibilities are:
- Establishing and leading the privacy impact assessment (PIA) team. Completing PIA’s by authoring, reviewing and recommending for approval PIA’s of both corporate and departmental scope.
- Ensuring that PIA’s are fully completed, signed and the implementation of risk mitigations is complete.
- Continually monitoring the status of the effectiveness of privacy controls across systems and service offerings.
- Ensuring that privacy is included by design in any corporate or departmental initiative by working with other critical stakeholders or project planning teams
- Researching and developing, privacy standards, guidelines and processes and working with client departments and other members of the IAP Team on the implementation of that material.
- Assisting in the management of privacy breaches or privacy complaints, working closely with other members of the IAP Services team.
- Providing specialized training on privacy principles and best practices.
A Bachelor’s degree and 6 years related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
A designation relating to privacy professional will be considered an asset. Candidates should be willing to complete relevant privacy certification.
This position aligns well with candidates who have the following skills and work experience:
- Advanced knowledge of privacy principles and current privacy trends as well as knowledge of privacy impact assessment (PIA) methodology, tools and techniques to support privacy-by-design.
- Demonstrate analytical and problem-solving skills that enable you to develop practical options or recommendations to address complex issues to ensure that privacy is included by design as an enabler to achieve the objectives of the project, program or initiative.
- Knowledge of information technology concepts and processes that impact the protection of personal information such as cloud computing, mobile computing, digital services.
- On the quest for new ideas, practices, and tools to make processes flexible and current.
- Able to interpret provincial legislation such as the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Personal Information International Disclosure Protection Act, Privacy Review Officer Act, as well as other relevant legislation at both the provincial, federal or international levels.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to achieve consensus as well as communicate to challenge the status quo.
- Work independently and as a member of a team and appreciate the need for differing views and opinions.
- Prepare comprehensive reports, documents, options analyses, briefing materials and presentations and propose responses on privacy issues.
- Consultation and negotiation skills that you will use to gain support for privacy program initiatives that will advance the program’s privacy framework.
- Develop effective relationships with senior management and stakeholders.
- Meet timelines and demonstrate excellent time management skills.
Apply By: 4/3/2019