The Privacy/FOI (Freedom of Information) Specialist is responsible for ensuring OTF has a robust Privacy Program at OTF that follows best practices set out by Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner’s Office (IPC) and where applicable, other related legislative frameworks (e.g. PIPEDA, PHIPA) and government policies on transparency and accountability. Moreover, the Specialist develops, administers and coordinates access to information and privacy policies, procedures and training to drive compliance at OTF.
The Specialist coordinates privacy impact assessments and leads privacy audits at regular intervals. They are responsible for ensuring that OTF is compliant with the Ontario Archives requirements as it relates to records management.
Key Areas of Responsibility
The successful candidate is responsible for OTF’s Privacy Program and access to information requests. The Specialist ensures the Foundation’s compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) including all relevant policy, legislation, regulation and best practices. The Privacy Specialist provides an experienced level of independent counsel, expert advice, staff training, and leadership on all privacy matters; answers questions from staff and management offering interpretation and recommendation on applicable legislation and policies to shape decision making. They will review the Foundation’s Privacy Program and makes recommendations for improvements; oversees all responses to Freedom of Information (FOI) requests. They will form an integral part of reviewing contracts with Ministries for new programs and consult with outside legal when necessary.
Skills and Attributes
Comprehensive knowledge of Ontario’s Privacy legislative, policy and related regulations impacting OTF record-keeping, access to information requests and privacy requirements, Provincial policies and Orders, records/information management/project management methodologies and document management design.
Experience and Education
- An undergraduate degree in a related discipline or equivalent work experience, and specialized training with regard to the management and administration of legislated programs; specifically training in relation to applying relevant Privacy legislation, policies, processes, systems and compliance requirements
- 5 of 7 years of experience in a Privacy role with knowledge of FIPPA/FOI processes
- Knowledge of provincial government structure and processes and provincial programs and initiatives affecting Agencies, Boards and Commissions
- Strong analytical, research and organizational skills
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills, with excellent writing skills in support of preparing reports
- Advanced computer skills using applications such as MS Office, Outlook, and redacting software
- Bilingualism (French/English) is considered an asset
- Must have attributes – agility, accountability, self-driven, and digital first mindset
Directions for application:
To apply for this position please visit the careers section of our website and submit your cover letter and resume on line.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled