Who You Are…
You are a technical and operation-minded lawyer who has a love for data, technology, and privacy. You are an ideal candidate if you have a technical background, solid privacy and product/technology counseling experience and have documented success in working with technical stakeholders through different phases of product development and commercialization. You strive in a high-paced environment and are motivated by the vision to always make things #morebetter.
You will primarily be responsible for leading a large cross-functional team towards the completion of our GDPR readiness program (which is well underway) and for the day-to-day tasks related to privacy compliance with both customers and vendors. In addition, you will be responsible for advising the Technical and Strategic Alliances teams on legal/regulatory compliance, new product/feature launches, strategic partnerships, API integration matters, privacy and data security.
You have a minimum 5 years’ relevant experience at a leading law-firm, or in-house experience at a technology company. You have familiarity with launching products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development and commercialization in the technology space. You have excellent commercial negotiation skills, drafting skills and solid experience in privacy and data protection law and data regulatory frameworks, and their application in a commercial, B2B environment. A relevant technical degree or high level of comfort with technology is required.
- Leading “all things” GDPR-related, including the project management of our GDPR readiness program and the cross-functional teams working towards GDPR compliance and act as the Company DPO;
- Collaborating with sales and technology leaders, information security and legal to assess and align technology and product strategies with regulatory, contractual and policy requirements;
- Reviewing and amending legal agreements with our customers, partners and vendors to comply with the EU GDPR;
- Supporting supplier privacy compliance, including by maintaining Hootsuite’s global supplier privacy and data protection requirements;
- Supporting customer privacy compliance requests, including by assisting with responses to data protection questions;
- Identifying business as well as technical infrastructure requirements resulting from the EU GDPR and working with technical teams to assist implementation;
- Creating and rolling out long-term legal strategies around our products and integrations;
- Support the legal team on the management of the patent portfolio and patent litigation including liaising with outside counsel;
- Advising the company on open source project and software related matters;
- Engaging with the organization to raise employee awareness about Hootsuite’s privacy framework and impacts on the operations of our business;
- Building scalable and effective processes for the launch of new products;
- Coordinating with cross-functional stakeholders, including Product, Engineering, Business Development, Advertising, Marketing, and Legal teams;
- Providing data privacy, and product due diligence and post-merger integration support with respect to M&A activity; and
- Leading cross-functional projects and act as point of contact for the product and dev teams.
You’re great at:
- Exceptional communication skills with a knack for translating legal advice into actionable guidance for innovative product and business teams in plain English
- Ability to effectively project manage large projects and cross-functional teams
- Getting things done, and meeting deadlines
- Providing business-oriented legal advice
- Understanding the demands of a hyper-growth global organization
Hootsuite is an inclusive employer. Every effort will be made to provide accommodations requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.