The Department of Health and Wellness offers opportunities to grow and advance in a dynamic sector that touches the lives of all Nova Scotians. Along with our partners, including the Nova Scotia Health Authority and the IWK Health Centre, we’re committed to continually improving our health care system. With a focus on collaborative primary health care, continuing care, improved supports for mental health and addictions, digital health, capital infrastructure, and more, the department is thinking differently about how to plan, fund, legislate and monitor to improve access and service delivery. To do this, we need leaders at all levels of the organization who embrace a challenge and believe in their ability to make a difference.
More specifically, the Digital Health, Analytics and Privacy (DHAP) branch is responsible for the development of the provincial digital health strategy and for leading strategic projects that intersect technology and healthcare enabling t a citizen centric health care system, and better access to care, services, and health information. We ensure we use data, information and analytics to assess future investments, evaluate current investments, and to measure and monitor the health system, including population health outcomes. This also includes supporting the use of health information through policy development, compliance, and risk management by embracing a Privacy by Design approach.
About Our Opportunity
As the Project Director, you will have the opportunity to design, coordinate, manage, and implement significant / major projects for the Department of Health in the area of Digital Health, Analytics and Privacy. As a key member of the DHAP leadership team, you will lead projects of a high priority, complexity, and longer duration. We are looking for someone who can listen, collaborate, and can connect the dots and build/lead project teams.
Within this role, you can expect to:
- Plan and manage multiple high priority projects concurrently and assume overall end-to-end ownership throughout the project life cycle (scope, schedule, milestones, budget, resources, communications, risk, project documentation, deliverables)
- Work with project sponsors and stakeholders to build and maintain strong relationships to ensure success;
- Manage assigned project staff (assigned staff resources and/or external consultants,) by delegating, scheduling and prioritizing staff workload
- Maintain a strong focus on change management and communications
- Participate and/or lead project/program governance meetings including project steering committees
- Set project milestones and manage teams to successfully meet project goals
- Participate in planning including development and evaluation of proposals and business cases
- Report on implementation progress, risks and issues to senior management / leadership on a regular basis and identify strategies to minimize/resolve risks and issues
- Develop and make continuous improvements to the project management function including implementation processes
- Identify, measure and report on benefits associated with projects
- Manage cost estimates and project budgets and complete regular status reports
You have a bachelor’s degree in a related field (such as Health Informatics, Engineering, Business Administration, etc.) as well as several years of project management experience. As the successful candidate, you also have a documented track record of successfully delivering large, complex projects, you also have previous supervisory or managerial experience.
The following will also be considered assets:
- Familiarity with health care information systems, clinical workflow, patient journey, clinical terminology, change management
- Familiarity with health care or health care related organizations
- Project Management Professional (PMP) and other certifications (Change Management, Lean/Six-Sigma, COBIT, other)
Leadership competencies required at this level of work are: Analytical Thinking, Strategic Orientation, Innovativeness, Adaptability and Flexibility, Initiative, Effective Interactive Communication, Partnering and Relationship Building, and Intercultural and Diversity Proficiency.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
In addition to the above, you:
- Have experience managing highly complex projects of large scope; which span across various organizations and involve multiple stakeholders.
- Foster collaboration and effective working relationships with stakeholders that promote cooperative goals and contribute to an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect.
- Inspire a shared vision and aligns performance goals and objectives for team and individuals to ensure group cohesiveness, motivation, commitment and effectiveness.
- Apply superior conflict management skills and expertise to persuade and negotiate effective resolution of issues/disputes.
- Display comprehensive knowledge of project management principles and methodologies and ability to coach team members on these skills.
- Use sound business acumen to manage the fiscal resources of assigned projects/services in a manner that is financially responsible and consistent with overall goals of the organization.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of available resources for projects and applicable stakeholder groups, provides feedback and detailed analysis on project processes and makes recommendations as required.
- Utilize initiative, vision, independent thinking and creative problem-solving abilities to implement project plans and realize project completion.
- Employ excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively present information to relevant stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Work well independently and effectively under time pressure to meet deadlines, balance work priorities and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Are proficient in the use of computers, software and peripheral equipment (MS Office, MS Outlook, MS Project, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel)
Apply By: 8/26/2019