The FOIP Advisor assists the FOIP Officer in administrating all aspects of the FOIP program and helps to ensure the Municipality is compliant with the FOIP Act. The FOIP Advisor carries out search and retrieval of records; reviews and annotates records; prepares fee estimates for applicants; liaises with third parties and other public bodies; and makes recommendations to the FOIP Officer on the disclosure of information. Primary responsibilities of this position include:
Program Management: Supports in the overall administration of the FOIP program. Assists the FOIP Officer with the development of policies, procedures, and guidelines related to access to information and protection of privacy. Assists with responding to access to information requests under the FOIP Act. Assists the FOIP Officer with the development and delivery of FOIP training for municipal employees and departments, as required.
Legislative Compliance: Assists the FOIP Officer in the development and implementation of innovative and practical approaches to ensure that the Municipality is fully compliant with the FOIP Act. Reviews access to information requests for completeness; clarifies information being sought by the applicant; initiates the search and retrieval process; follows up with departments regarding delays in retrieval of records and to obtain incomplete, missing, or corrupt records; and prepares correspondence related to FOIP requests. Assists the FOIP Officer in developing privacy breach prevention and mitigation plans, as required, and in conducting privacy impact assessments for departments and projects that collect, use, or disclose personal information. Participates in investigations of reported breaches of the FOIP Act within the Municipality, when required.
Candidates need to show evidence of the following:
- Clear understanding and working knowledge of Alberta’s FOIP Act and regulations.
- Ability to interpret legislation, as well as using sound judgement and discretion in communicating/implementing interpretations in municipal situations and applications.
- Knowledge of records management standards, processes and terminology.
- High degree of professionalism, tact and diplomacy in dealing with the public, Council, senior leaders and municipal staff at all levels.
- Ability to deal with sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with emphasis on report writing and formal correspondence.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat software.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in dealing with access and privacy matters, or a combination of information management and access and privacy experience.
- Experience working in the public-sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees considered an asset.
- Degree in business administration, information/records management, administrative law, or related discipline.
- Completion of the Government of Alberta’s FOIP Act training program is required.
- Completion of the University of Alberta’s Information Access and Protection of Privacy certificate program is an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to provide a Criminal Record Check for review and acceptance.
- A valid Class five (5) Operator’s License is required as incumbent may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business use on a regular basis.
- Ability to provide a current Driver’s Abstract which meets the requirements as outlined under the Municipality’s Recruitment and Selection Procedure.
As an employee of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the incumbent is responsible and accountable for knowing and working in accordance with the Health and Safety Directive. As per Section 2 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the incumbent shall ensure, while in the employ of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the health and safety of employees, contractors, and the public.
This position is not employed in a supervisory capacity. As such, the employee is not required to obtain additional safety training in accordance with municipal procedures and directives.
Requisition ID: 1961
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Number of Openings: 1
Bi-weekly Working Hours: 70 hours bi-weekly
Shift/Work Schedule: Monday to Friday
Department/ Branch: Legal Services, FOIP and Policy
Job Location: Fort McMurray
Salary Range: Competitive Salary
COLA: Bi-Weekly – $480
Closing Date (dd/mm/yyyy): 23/07/2023
Posting Type: Internal and External
To apply: Please visit our website at jobs.rmwb.ca
Current employees must apply through the internal careers site.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted. Late applications will not be accepted.