Two permanent positions
The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC) is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please click here.
The OIPC is a Legislative Office. The Commissioner reports directly to the Legislative Assembly of Alberta and is independent of the government of the day. Through the OIPC, the Commissioner performs the legislative and regulatory responsibilities set out in Alberta’s three access and privacy laws:
- The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act(FOIP Act)
- The Health Information Act(HIA)
- The Personal Information Protection Act(PIPA)
To learn more about the work that we do please browse this website.
We have opportunities in our Compliance and Special Investigations and Mediation and Investigation teams for experienced information and privacy professionals in Edmonton or Calgary.
Reporting to the respective Director, you will assist the Commissioner in the performance of her legislative mandate. Through relationship building, strong leadership and effective mediation, investigation and communication skills you will influence and effect changes in the development and implementation of initiatives, programs, policies, goals and proposed legislative schemes in the public, health and private sectors.
The Compliance and Special Investigations position will focus on the following:
- Investigating privacy breaches and self-reported breaches.
- Conducting information security audits or privacy compliance reviews of programs and initiatives.
- Producing written findings and recommendations that may be published.
- Reviewing and providing comment on privacy impact assessments and technical, administrative and physical safeguards.
- Conducting offence investigations.
- Review and provide comments on large scale information systems and information sharing initiatives.
The Mediation and Investigation position will focus on the following:
- Review decisions made by public bodies, custodians and organizations for legislative compliance.
- Mediate and attempt to resolve disputes between parties.
- Conduct investigations, issue findings and make recommendations.
- Review and comment on initiatives, information systems, policies, procedures and practices of public bodies, health custodians and private sector organizations.
- Consult and advise on complex and multi-jurisdictional access and privacy issues.
- Promote, educate and inform the public and stakeholders about the Acts and on access and privacy matters.
To learn more about the job responsibilities, click here for the position profile.
A university degree in a related field plus at least six years related experience in legislative and policy interpretation, investigations, research and analysis, mediation or multi-party dispute resolution is required. Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential. Preference will be given to candidates with a professional designation in information security and/or information systems auditing along with experience in information security auditing and/or privacy compliance reviews. In-depth knowledge of access and privacy laws, particularly the FOIP Act, HIA and PIPA preferred. Equivalencies will be considered.
Closing Date: September 14, 2018