Senior Legal Editor Privacy & Data Security
(This position has the ability to be a remote position and may be located in a home office)
Practical Law is looking for a Canadian editor with expertise in privacy and data security/protection law.
This position is responsible for:
– developing ideas for privacy and data security content for US, UK, and Canadian practitioners and businesses that address law and practice which will be published on Practical Law’s online services;
– establishing, maintaining, and managing extensive relationships with external law firm contributors who have expertise on privacy and data security issues;
– drafting, writing and editing resources, including standard form documents, practice guidance notes, and checklists in accordance with Practical Law writing style;
– writing and editing content for Practical Law’s companion print magazine, Practical Law The Journal;
– developing relationships with law firm lawyers, in-house counsel, and industry groups to ensure that Practical Law’s content is topical and meets their needs;
– supporting privacy, data security, and data protection content and product development projects;
– assisting the sales team by participating in sales calls and demonstrating service to potential subscribers; and
– assisting the marketing team by participating in webinars and creation of educational programs.
You will be a strong team player and will possess:
– a JD or an LL.B;
– a minimum of six years’ experience working as a privacy and data security/protection lawyer or privacy or data protection compliance professional in a law firm or in-house;
– expertise in a broad spectrum of Canadian privacy, data security, and data protection matters, including:
– Canadian data privacy laws and regulations, such as PIPEDA, CASL and provincial laws;
– a deep understanding of the regulatory environment and practice as it relates to privacy and data security in Canada;
– development and implementation of privacy and information management and compliance programs, policies and procedures, and training programs that address compliance with Canadian laws, including cross-border compliance;
– privacy, security and data protection aspects of cross-border transactions, including in the M&A, outsourcing, and other commercial contracting contexts; and
– regulatory investigations, enforcement actions and litigation within Canada.
– enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services;
– a good understanding of the needs and priorities of law firm and in-house counsel and the legal market;
– English fluency, and a passion for writing and good editing skills, including:
– very close attention to detail;
– impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English;
– strong technical drafting skills; and
– the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.