Department / Division / Section:
- Police / Legal Services / Executive Services
- Perform functions that support VicPD’s compliances with the access to information provisions of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and for administration of the Legal Services Section.
- Receives, researches and retrieves requested information, including information of an extremely sensitive and confidential nature from various sections within the Department. Analyzes, prioritizes, processes and prepares responses to complex requests for information in accordance with FIPPA.
- Processes information requests by analyzing and consulting on records, interpreting and applying FIPPA to determine whether information will be withheld or disclosed; preparing records for disclosure (severing – line by line electronic review of the records) and preparing the appropriate response referencing applicable statutory law. Advises VicPD employees on conducting adequate searches for records. Sets priorities and meeting deadlines in order to achieve compliance with legislated timelines. Recommends the treatment of records involving personal information pursuant to FIPPA.
- Responds to enquiries from staff, the public and outside agencies by providing information and advice regarding access to information in accordance with FIPPA and internal policy and procedures as they relate to Departmental records.
- Liaises with Portfolio Officers from the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC); participates independently, as directed, in mediations and reviews before the OIPC.
- Communicates with and works with the Information and Privacy Manager to prepare detailed submissions, including gathering evidence and preparing drafts of legal process documentation for the OIPC.
- Liaises with other social and law enforcement agencies seeking disclosure of Departmental records; applies and interprets Memoranda of Understanding on information exchange. Determines whether the disclosure of personal information constitutes a reasonable interpretation of FIPPA such as providing sensitive information to various external agencies.
- Participates in the preparation of Privacy Impact Assessments on all projects, programs, activities, systems relating to the collection, protection and retention of personal information by the Department.
- Participates in the development and delivery of access/privacy orientation of sworn and non-sworn employees.
- Types a variety of letters, memos, reports and forms; sort, photocopy, fax and file documents, correspondence and reports related to the processing of information access requests; enters and maintains a variety of manual and computerized records relating to the tracking of information requests.
- Performs related duties where qualified.
- 2 years of related experience in a policing environment and 5 years working experience in Information and Protection of Privacy legislation or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
- Required to obtain security and criminal record clearance.
- Required to sign attestation of confidentiality.
Closing Date 17 May 2022 4:30 PM