Senior Privacy Assurance and Data Analyst
City: Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Fredericton, Moncton or Montreal
Organizational Unit: Digital Technologies
Duration: 1 year
Language Requirements: English
On October 6, 2021, the Government of Canada announced the launch of a mandatory vaccination policy across the federal public service.
The Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for the National Research Council requires you to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and that you attest to your vaccination status prior to the date of your appointment unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground of discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act. You can find more specific information on the collection and use of your personal information when you submit your attestation.
The NRC Advantage
GREAT MINDS. ONE GOAL. CANADA’S SUCCESS.
The National Research Council of Canada represents a powerful partnering option for anyone looking to push the boundaries of science and industry. In fact, as the Government of Canada’s largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development, we have become catalysts for innovation. For over a hundred years, the impact of our work with industry leaders and other government bodies has shaped Canada’s future. We partner with some of the most creative and solutions-driven minds in the world.
And now, we want to partner with you. Be part of our collective force to come up with potentially disruptive solutions to Canada’s current and future technology challenges. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada’s largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a Senior Privacy Assurance and Data Analyst to support our Digital Technologies (DT) Research Centre. The Senior Privacy Assurance and Data Analyst would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
This position will enable the operation of the Digital Technologies collaborative COVID-19 data repository or similar based in a cloud environment providing analytics, virtual computing, storage, and /or reporting functionality. The incumbent will develop web and other interfaces and tools as needed to ensure and enable data secure data submission and access, privacy requirements compliance, data analytics and reports within the repository, and to conduct regular analysis of user activity to ensure compliance with access terms.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
Post-secondary education in computer science, computer engineering or related field including a CIPT certification.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Significant experience working with user activity monitoring software for compliance or security.
- Significant experience with data anonymization technologies and their application to complex datasets, including images.
- Significant experience developing RShiny tools in a cloud computing environment.
- Significant experience working with Maria DB databases.
- Significant experience working with Unix / Linux platforms.
- Significant experience in object-oriented programming.
- Recent significant experience applying in a data management environment:
- Privacy risk models and frameworks; or
- Applying Privacy by Design Principles.
- Experience in machine learning / data mining would be an asset.
* Significant is defined as 2 to 5 years of experience.
Condition of Employment
- Reliability Status
- All employees of the National Research Council are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground of discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Ability to implement modern approaches to data de-identification and re-identification strategies.
- Ability to assess and implement user activity monitoring security tools, including assessing advantages and disadvantages of various approaches by context.
- Knowledge of various Canadian privacy law requirements.
- Knowledge of Azure cloud computing platforms and the development of related analytical, access, and security tools.
- Knowledge of RShiny for web interfaces, statistical computing, graphics, web dashboards, and interactive web apps development.
- Knowledge of security aspects of Unix network administration.
- Ability to apply basic project management practices and principles to challenges and situations.
- Management services – Communication (Level 3)
- Management services – Conceptual and analytical ability (Level 2)
- Management services – Results orientation (Level 4)
- Management services – Teamwork (Level 3)
- Management services – Organizational and environmental awareness (Level 2)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile: Management Services
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC’s directives.
From $88,225 to $110,995 per annum.
An incumbent occupying a position within the CS Group is currently entitled to receive a terminable allowance of $212 per month.
- In order to ensure a prompt and efficient processing of applications, candidates are encouraged to provide, along with their résumé, a detailed covering letter explaining how they meet each of the requirements of this position (education, experience, language requirements) by providing concrete examples. In addition, the candidate is encouraged to describe in detail when, where and how he/she gained the experience.
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
- NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
- We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (11272) to:
Closing Date: 6 December 2021 – 23:59 Eastern Time
For more information on career tools and other resources, check out Career tools and resources