EDC is Canada’s export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC’s knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 7,400 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
Team & Job Overview
The Senior Privacy Advisor provides expertise and support to the Privacy component of Export Development Canada’s (EDC) Compliance & Ethics team. The individual promotes consistency in practices and procedures in the administration of the Program to ensure compliance with federal privacy legislation, regulations, and government policies. Reporting to the Manager, Privacy and Access to Information, the Senior Privacy Advisor, among other tasks, coordinates and leads Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA), conducts privacy audits and oversees breach investigations.
Working in a fast-paced environment, the Senior Privacy Advisor manages deadlines and deliverables on simultaneous projects and time sensitive assignments. The Senior Privacy Advisor writes at a professional level and prepares accurate and concise project documentation and reports for a senior audience.
- Provide assistance to EDC business teams and management on the interpretation and application of privacy and other related legislation, regulations, government policies and related instruments as well as industry standards.
- Design, development, implementation and promotion of awareness of policies, guidelines and procedures documents and maintenance of a mechanism to monitor applicable court and administrative decisions, as well as other developments relevant to the program.
- Assistance and management of privacy and other related risks through development of documentation and processes such as Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA).
- Design, development, implementation and monitoring of oversight mechanisms to ensure compliance with EDC privacy and other related legal and regulatory obligations.
- Conduct extensive research and analysis of a variety of topics.
- Design, development, implementation and delivery of training and awareness activities for employees.
- Maintains the organization’s ongoing relationships with regulatory commissions/authorities and peer entities.
- Participation in the design, development and implementation of reports to a senior audience.
- Provides expertise and guidance to business teams regarding compliance requirements and activities in connection with of privacy and other related legislation, regulations, and industry standards.
- Leads complex projects and assignments and establishes cross-functional, collaborative relationships with business and technology partners.
- Plans and develops PIAs.
- Responds to internal advisory service requests and exercises discretion within applicable authorities to develop solutions that support business issues, ensuring privacy and other related compliance risks are adequately identified and addressed.
- Negotiates and influences the adoption of compliant solutions with diplomacy, tact and persuasion.
- Oversees complex or sensitive issues regarding compliance and participates in the investigation of privacy or other related audits/complaints regarding privacy or other related compliance matters.
- Designs, develops, and maintains oversight mechanisms to monitor and verify compliance with EDC privacy and other related legal and regulatory obligations.
- Leads and coordinates the privacy breach response process, including investigations, notifications and other resolution efforts.
- Develops internal guidelines and procedures to facilitate compliant behaviors and actions related to statutory privacy obligations.
- Develops and delivers training and awareness initiatives to enhance the organization’s knowledge of and appreciation for compliance related issues.
- Reviews and assesses changes in jurisprudence and practices related to privacy, to evaluate trends and priorities and to consider the impact on the Program
- Develops and maintains a mechanism to monitor applicable court and administrative decisions, as well as other developments relevant to the Program
- Completed an Undergraduate university degree, a Law Degree or a degree in a similar discipline.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in privacy, compliance, law, accounting, audit or related discipline.
- Advanced knowledge of privacy and other related laws, regulations and compliance requirements. as they apply to Crown Corporations.
- Professional privacy certification.
- Experience conducting privacy assessments related to social media and cloud applications.
- Experience providing advice to senior management on delicate and complex issues related to privacy or other related compliance areas.
- Experience with Access Pro Case Management.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and compliance requirements as they apply to Crown corporations.
- Experience providing advice on issues related to the Canada’s Anti-Spam legislation (CASL).
- Bilingual in both official languages (French and English)
Closing Date October 28, 2016, 11:59 p.m. EST