Duration: Permanent, Full Time
We have an opportunity for a skilled and motivated team player to provide advice on the application of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), assess privacy requirements, and facilitate responses to access to information requests. You’ll be responsible for ensuring that we meet our obligations under FIPPA.
Consider joining a strong, committed team who value hard work but understand the need for a healthy lifestyle. Work a Monday to Friday week and do work that matters supporting an organization whose mandate is to improve the health and safety of workplaces across the province.
As a senior access to information and privacy officer you will:
- Advise WorkSafeBC staff on the interpretation and application of FIPPA
- Represent WorkSafeBC in Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner reviews and hearings (written)
- Draft appropriate clauses for a variety of information-sharing agreements between WorkSafeBC and third parties
- Advise on responses to any privacy complaints in accordance with WorkSafeBC policies
- Conduct privacy impact assessments
- Analyze access to information requests, and prepare appropriate responses
- Develop and deliver in-house training programs related to FIPPA
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Independently set priorities and follow up with relevant parties to meet strict deadlines, while managing a large workload
- Give clear direction, instruction, and guidance while working with a variety of groups and individuals
- Write strong decisions by interpreting applicable law and policy
- Mediate and negotiate resolutions of access to information and/or privacy issues
- Prepare and present complex information and communicate in a clear and concise manner to diverse audiences
Your experience and educational background:
- A university degree in law
- A member of the Law Society of British Columbia, or currently eligible for membership
- PACC/IAPP certification is an asset, but is not required
- A minimum of five years of experience in legal analysis, with well-developed writing skills and research techniques
- Working knowledge of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or other privacy or access to information legislation is required
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Application requirements:
Please send any additional application materials via email to Talent Team by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date of the competition.
If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email the HR Testing Accommodation (SM) at the time you submit your application.
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we’re dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across B.C. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We’re honoured to serve the 2.4 million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
What’s it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It’s challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional extra time off, leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your retirement pension. As a member of our team, you’ll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life.
Learn more about what we offer.
If you’re the successful applicant, we’ll be making a conditional offer contingent upon your clearing a criminal record check under the Criminal Records Review Act. At the time of offer, you’ll need to provide consent for a criminal record check. Once we receive clearance, we’ll confirm your offer of employment.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5ecfd0fdc8d57f05a2b983f2/5ece646fc8d57f05a7f5392f/en