Senior Corporate Access and Privacy Analyst
Job Number: 43417
We’re looking for an individual with a passion for access and privacy and who has fun with FOIP!
As an integral member of the Corporate Access and Privacy Office in the Office of the City Clerk, you will support the City of Edmonton’s access to information program. In this role you will be responsible for responding to access to information requests made under Alberta’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP Act) and other applicable legislation.
Working in a team environment, the Senior Corporate Access and Privacy Analyst uses their thorough understanding of legislation, Orders by the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC), policy, applicable resources and best practices to support making informed and delegated decisions on access to information. This position is responsible for working collaboratively with City departments to process complex FOIP requests with records of significance that can be subject to high levels of scrutiny by City Administration, Mayor and Council, media and citizens.
- Managing and making decisions on multiple access to information requests and updating leadership as required
- Striving to keep requests in compliance with legislated timelines
- Effectively liaising with internal and external parties when consulting on FOIP requests
- Working collaboratively with leadership and/or the Law Branch in responding to Reviews and Inquiries before the OIPC
- Reviewing, consulting and preparing Memos to Council to be published on the City’s Open Data Portal
- Writing reports, updates and briefings to leadership on access matters
- Participating in the review and development of FOIP policies and procedures to ensure accuracy and consistency
- Developing and delivering FOIP training and awareness sessions to educate City employees on the requirements of the FOIP Act
- Providing coverage for the Supervisor, Information Access
- Some privacy work may be required
- University degree in Information Studies, Public Policy, Archives Studies, Library Studies, Political Studies or a relevant discipline is required
- Information Access and Protection of Privacy (IAPP) certificate or equivalent from the University of Alberta, a recognized post secondary institution, or a recognized professional association is required
- Minimum of four (4) years of directly related, progressively responsible experience working in the research, analysis, interpretation and application of access and privacy legislation is required
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience processing access to information requests under Alberta’s FOIP Act or equivalent legislation
- Strong organizational and time management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Experience writing reports and briefings, and designing and delivering access and privacy training
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate with preciseness and accuracy
- Knowledge to apply firmness, impartiality and good judgment
- Ability to handle situations requiring diplomacy and tact
- Strong research and analysis skills and ability in applying policies and procedures
- Ability to critically analyze issues to make decisions, recommend viable and effective solutions, and summarize and manage information
- Good customer service skills and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervisor and on a team environment where work responsibilities depend on team cooperation/collaboration
- Extensive knowledge of the FOIP Act and ability to apply legislation, interpretations and guidance to records
- Ability to handle and manage sensitive and confidential information
- Experience using electronic resources, systems and applications
- Ability to liaise effectively with citizens, media, third parties and other internal and external stakeholders
- Experience providing guidance or mentorship to colleagues is an asset
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact Employment@edmonton.ca.
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID 19-Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (bit.ly/3lKwb6j) and COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure (bit.ly/39BICMt).
Up to 1 permanent full-time position
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton/Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance.
Salary: $40.517 – $50.871 (Hourly); $71,380.82 – $89,621.98 (Annually)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: AD/MZ
Classification Title: Snr Corp Access Privacy Analyst
Posting Date: Apr 7, 2022
Closing Date: Apr 24, 2022 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 – Permanent Full-time
Union: CSU 52
Department: Office of the City Clerk
Work Location(s): Churchill Building, 2nd Floor, 10019-103 Avenue Edmonton T5J 0G9
Visit www.edmonton.ca/careers for information on how to apply