Have Your Say

PACC takes an active role in representing members’ views about legislation and public policy changes that can affect privacy and access rights and practice.


The Government of Canada is renewing its approach to openness and transparency, and we want you to participate. 

The Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS) has set ambitious goals for an open, transparent, and accountable government. TBS has committed to making government and its information open by default, and ensuring Canadians have more opportunities to be heard in government decision-making processes. It has also committed to making government information and data easier to access — and that includes revitalizing Canada’s Access to Information Act.

The Government of Canada is engaging with citizens, stakeholders, businesses, academics, media, entrepreneurs, and civil society organizations to develop Canada’s Action Plan on Open Government 2016-18.

To participate online, in-person, and via email or mail, get involved through the links below.
·         Join the conversation and make your voice heard on Canada’s Open Government Action Plan 2016-18
·         Participate in the Google Hangout Treasury Board President Scott Brison is hosting on April 6th at 1 PM EDT.  He’d like to hear your ideas about what open government means to you and how the government can make our country better through openness and transparency. To share your ideas on Twitter, you can use the hashtag #opengovcan

The next action plan will capture Canada’s important commitments to improving openness and transparency. In addition, through consultations, the Government of Canada is seeking input from Parliament, Canadians, and stakeholders on how best to implement its commitments to improve the Access to Information Act. Once these key modernization commitments have been met, the government will initiate a review of the Act to explore even more opportunities for improvement. This is anticipated in 2018.

All comments are welcomed. If you want to submit comments but are concerned about retribution or splash back, please send them to President_at_PACC-CCAP_dot_ca by June 15, 2016. All comments will be anonymized, consolidated into a single submission, and provided to the Government of Canada within the time limited by government.

Find Your Elected Representative

To find your local Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) or Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) visit http://www.canadaspeaks.ca/resources/find-your-mpp/

To find your Member of Parliament (MP) visit http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilations/HouseofCommons/MemberByPostalCode.aspx?Menu=HOC or http://openparliament.ca

Submit an Access to Information Request

Telcos: Use the Access My Info tool to request access to personal information that is held by your telecommunications carrier, and who they’ve released it to. You can also the Access My Info tool to create a customized request letter to send to any commercial data operator.

Ontario: How to ask a public-sector organization for information

Government of Canada: Submit FOI requests by mail or use the ATIP Online Request Portal to submit access to information or privacy requests.