The Canadian Council for Career Development has identified the following benefits of certification.
Benefits for Individuals
- Certification confirms your mastery of critical professional competencies and recognizes your professional development and growth.
- Certification demonstrates to your clients, competitors, suppliers, peers, employers and funders that you use industry-respected best practices.
- Certification can improve your overall performance, remove uncertainty, and widen market opportunities.
- The process of achieving and maintaining certification demonstrates that you are continually improving and refining your practice.
- Certification could enhance your career/promotion opportunities and/or your income.
- Certification can increase your recognition by peers, employers and recruiters/funders. It can set you apart from the competition to gain a competitive edge professionally.
- Certification establishes you as an expert and innovator in your field.
Benefits for our Field
- Certification raises the bar for our field, demonstrating to our employers/funders, clients, policy makers and the public that our work is grounded in professional excellence.
- Certification operationalizes the competency standards and ethical guidelines, defines our scope of practice, and supports quality service delivery.
Benefits for Employers
- Certification can differentiate between hiring candidates. Beyond considering an individual’s experience, you can assess their knowledge and interest in professional growth and development.
- Certification helps you to identify those who have the desire to excel professionally.
- Certification is a tool to help you in targeting your staff training and professional development.
- Certification helps you to demonstrate to stakeholders that your business is run professionally.
- The application and renewal process in certification will improve staff responsibility, commitment and motivation.
- Top-performing companies understand that properly training employees leads to direct, measurable bottom-line benefits.
For the Public
- Certification affords the public the opportunity to make an informed selection of services based on the knowledge and training demonstrated by certified professionals.
- Certified professionals set a standard for excellence in the field.